Academy Home | Student Dashboard

CUST105: Unit 4 Discussion

1. What resources have you used for finding past employment, or might you use for finding future positions? Why did/would you choose those particular resources?
  2. What steps would be most beneficial in preparing for a job interview?
  3. In what social networks have you participated? How might you use those networks for advancing your employment and professional growth opportunities?

What resources have you used for finding past employment, or might you use for finding future positions? Why did/would you choose those particular resources?

For past resources, i have used online job boards as well as hard copy documents such as local newspaper for finding employment. I chose these particular resources because, they had a wide range of jobs which one could apply for.

What steps would be most beneficial in preparing for a job interview?

The steps that would be most beneficial for preparing for a job interview would include:
a. Doing some background research on the company where you will be doing the interview.
b. Analyze the job description in order to understand the duties to be carried out by the vacant position.
c. Clarify skills and other attributes that you possess that will be relevant for the job to be interviewed for.

In what social networks have you participated? How might you use those networks for advancing your employment and professional growth opportunities?

I have participated in LinkedIn and Facebook in order to network with others. I can used these networks for advancing my employment and professional growth opportunities, by meeting potential employers and learning from them basic skills and such. Also to communicate with other job seekers in receiving updates about new job opportunities and training.

In the past I have used the local paper as a resource to look for employment. Lately I have used the online job finders to help search for employment, I chose these resources because they were handy to me at the moment.

In preparing for a job interview would be : to know the company and understand what the company does.

I am on most social medias like Facebook and Linkedin and Twitter These medias help to network with people that already work at the companies that need workers

1. I have used linked in, online jobs portals and company recruitment boards. Most of them are free, user friendly and easy to use.

2. Job interview preparations, involves prepared oneself physically and emotionally. Going over the anticipated questions and best possible answers. Practicing in a real mock scenario until it sounds normal.

3. I am an active member of linked in and facebook. I use linked in more for professional interactions with companies and facebook for personal endeavours.

I have been browsing through the websites of the employment providers and also looked at employment postings.
The important steps that are most helpful for preparing interviews are getting information about the organization and the post to be applied for.
I have accounts in linkedIn, facebook and twiter.

1. I have used facebook to ask my friends if there were vacancies in where they work and then written an apllication after getting the affirmative. I chose that particular resource because most jobs are not advitised so only those who work there can intimate me of any vacancy.
  2. First select the best outfit suited for the job. Get the background of the company and as much information about he position you are applying for as ppssibe. Finally, get all possibe interview questions and answers ready.
  3. I have participated in facebook and twitter and i can use these get to know more about a company and follow them closely for any employment opportunity.

Social media giving access to millions that interested for a job, and that makes it impossible to be the chosen one and during globalization’s time. When you looking for a position, keep in mind that every position has been reviewed from every continent of this planet. A good way to find a job is through an agency because it’s faster. It’s better to have a real time interview than trying to get the job with a linkedin or facebook photo, as million of photos have been sent before to a company. Most of the times, people who are very poor and with very low skills are getting hired with less money! That’s why most of the companies don’t care about the skills or your education because they can train you for the opening position you applying for, by saying that “you don’t have yet enough skills for this position”, so I’ll give you twelve instead of fifteen. Remember that nowadays and during the advancement of technology, we living the greatest depression than ever and worst than mid century era, hoping that the real enlightenment will knock our door soon. So, nope! I don’t appreciate enough these kind of applications as they’re destructive and isolating human beings.

Thanks its so helpful and thoughtful of you

Your welcome! I hope that whatever you using shall be effective. In my case it was so frustrating to wait for an email that invites me to give an interview. It seemed to me so crazy and ridiculous and that’s why I asked help from an agency. LinkedIn is only good because it guides you step by step to create a resume and then you have the option to download it in a pdf format, liturgical for communication. Though, they must have created an account to respond to you, as it seems that not everyone does. However, it’s the fashion of the decade and an experiment that will be gone through time.

1. What I usually do is to search on the internet for jobs that fit my skill set and qualification, read about them and apply for the position by sending my resume via mail to the company or go through their process of application. I have also taken some internship positions which has given me remarkable experiences I wouldn’t have gotten without it.
    A resource I might use to find positions in the future is to develop good relationships with managers and top executives in my field of interest and also follow such companies or organizations to be in the know of their current affairs.

2. When preparing for a job interview;

a). Research on the company and know as much as possible about them.
b). Dress appropriately to project professionalism.
c). Do not be in a rush to answer questions but pause, think and then answer.
d). Be confident and enthusiastic about your own ideas and goals.
d). Prepare for difficult questions or question you would not want to answer.
e). Be truthful, knowing that anything you say can be crossed-check now or later on.

LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are some of the social networks I participate in. I can use these networks to enhance my employment and professional goals by posting my articles, other professional articles relating to my field of interest and sharing them with my connections and organizations that I follow so they can read, comment and probably contact me if there is an opportunity. Also, follow and share my thoughts on post by mangers and top executives as a way of selling myself to them.

I have used indeed, monster, facebook and other job search websites. I chose those options because they fit my needs and were easy to use.
Dress professional. Be kind, attentive, make eye contact, speak in a well manner.
I have participated in facebook and twitter. They could help you keep track of a business you are interested in. Facebook actually helped me get my first customer service position.

What resources have you used for finding past employment, or might you use for finding future positions? Why did/would you choose those particular resources?

As a means, I have used networking as such visiting place relating to my fields in order to market myself. For instance, I work as a Modern Languages teacher, I did the best I could to visit where they could be in of a French or English or Spanish teacher then I could profit the opportunity. In fact, I might use Facebook and LinkedIn I do use these two sites to market myself for finding future positions. First then, I did choose networking because it is one of the best and more helpful strategies that lead people to popularity and success. Second, I do believe Facebook is an open site where people can make different kinds of business. Then, I would use Facebook and LinkedIn and networking such strategies to market the invisible me.

What steps would be most beneficial in preparing for a job interview?

When You Get 'The Call’
Things to remember when an employer phones to schedule a job interview:
• Be positive and enthusiastic about the opportunity to interview.
• If you’re caught off guard, be honest (for example, “Forgive me, but I’ve sent out several resumes this month. Could you refresh my memory about the position you’re referring to?”).
• Write down the date and time of the interview you have scheduled.
• Write down the Name, Title, and Department of the person you’ll be meeting.
• Ask about parking lots or public transportation and where to enter the building – then write it down.
• Ask if there is anything specific the interviewer would like you to prepare or bring to the meeting.
• In closing, be sure to thank the caller and confirm the interview date and time (for example, “Thanks again, Ms. Lee, I look forward to meeting you on Monday the 16th at 9:00.”).
Before the Interview
Congratulations, you’ve scheduled an interview. Now it’s time to do your homework:
• Look closely at the company’s website to get a feel for its culture, business goals, products or services, financial reports, and challenges.
• Search the Internet for news or information about the company. Don’t overlook blogs in your search.
• Formulate and practice reciting a clear and concise summary of your unique skills and qualifications that you could deliver in about two minutes. Avoid making it sound as if it’s a “canned” speech. Ad-libbing some of it can’t hurt, as long as you’re clear and thorough.
• Prepare and practice answers to typical interview questions.
• Make a list of questions to ask during the interview.
• Write down examples of past successes that you can discuss in the interview.
• Contact your three references and alert them that you’ll be interviewing, so they may get a call.
• Look up the exact building location online and print out a map and driving directions or public transportation route, with planned contingencies for possible delays.
• Do a “dry run” if possible – physically go to the interview site so you’ll know exactly where it is and how long it will take you to get there (Hint: If it’s a workday, check out what people are wearing as they enter or exit the building).
• Plan your attire and accessories and make sure everything is clean. Unless the company explicitly tells you to dress more casually, wear a suit. Present your most polished image; your “real” style can emerge once you’re hired.
Things to Take with You to the Interview
Carry a professional-looking briefcase or organizer that contains all the items you might need during the interview:
• Company address and directions.
• Bus or train schedule, if applicable.
• A photo ID (e.g. passport, green card, driver’s license).
• Detailed dates of employment and salary history, if needed to complete the job applications (Note: Don’t provide the salary information unless it’s mandatory.)
• Interview agenda with names of interviewers (if they’ve provided one).
• List of names and dates of people you talked with already at the company (e.g. recruiter, phone screener, hiring manager).
• Name, title, and phone number of person to ask for upon arrival.
• Pen and paper.
• A copy of the job description.
• List of at least five questions you plan to ask the interviewers about the company or position.
• Three copies of the resume and cover letter you sent to the employer, printed on quality paper.
• Three copies of your list of pre-qualified references.
• Samples of related work you’ve done in the past.
• Food (something small, quick, and filling in case of an extended interview).
• Medication, if applicable.
• Comb, breath mints, lipstick, tissue, lint remover, or anything else that will help you feel confident and make the best possible presentation.
During the Interview
Don’t forget that you’re creating an impression from the very first smile to the final handshake. Follow these guidelines:
• Silence your cell phone and keep it out of sight.
• Treat each person you meet in a friendly, respectful manner (i.e., if you’re rude to the receptionist, you can bet the hiring manager will hear it “through the grapevine.”).
• Stand and shake hands with each interviewer who enters the room.
• Listen attentively and ask questions where appropriate. Take brief notes.
• Be prepared to present your “elevator speech” – the short summary of who you are and the value you can bring to the organization.
• Present your skills in positive terms (i.e., emphasize your strengths and how they relate to the job).
• Ask for a business card from each interviewer, or write down their names and verify spelling (this simplifies follow-up, thank you letters, etc.).
• Don’t ask about salary or benefits in a first interview unless the interviewer initiates the topic.
• Ask when you can expect to hear from them again.
• Ask whether it’s OK to contact them for a status update if you haven’t heard by a certain date they indicate they will take the next step in the process (and ask how they prefer to be contacted).
After the Interview
At this point, most candidates just sit back and cross their fingers. Your best course of action is to remain proactive. Take these steps to keep yourself in the running and add to the favorable image you’ve been building:
• Send a thank you note ASAP (definitely within 24 hours) to each person you interviewed with.
• Follow through on any promises you made during the interview (e.g., sending information you said you would provide).
• Make sure to contact them on the agreed-upon date to inquire about their decision making.
• Don’t give up hope! The hiring process can take many weeks!

In what social networks have you participated? How might you use those networks for advancing your employment and professional growth opportunities?
I have participated in Facebook and LinkedIn. I might profit on using these social networks to link with friends and as well with other people who are in my field and who can endorse me because they are people who can testify my competency and qualification. Thus, I am confident that such strategies can back me up in different ways and so far promote me so that I can grow professionally and get advancement regarding my employment.

Retrieved from https://www.pongoresume.com on September 23, 2016

1. I have used before a recruitment resources, offering a variety of jobs - divided by the specializations. It was very convenient and up-to-dated.
  2. To prepare for the job interview one should draw up a list of questions, which will be presumably asked on the interview and try to rehearse the replies for those questions. Especially when there’s a need to describe any case from past job experience.
  3. I gave participated in social network vkontakte and odnoklassniki. I could not tell, that those are career oriented resources, but through keeping in touch with your former classmates/ course mates some opportunities may turn up.

1. I have used the internet, the newspaper and contacts to find past employment because I wanted to have access to multiple job offerings and increase my chances of getting hired.

2. It would be beneficial when preparing for an interview to be knowledgeable about the company, anticipate interview questions and prepare truthful answers to them as well as have a clean and professional outfit laid out for the interview.

3. I have joined social media networks such as Twitter and Facebook. I might use my account to meet people in the field I’m interested in as well as search for various companies who frequently post on these social networks.

1. According to U.S. Department of Labor, up to 80% of all positions are filled without employer advertising. So the employer saves time, energy, and money to hire people they know, who have been referred by a trusted source and also made contact directly with employees. And not only is this more efficient, it also often means the employer is getting a candidate who is not just looking for a job, but looking for this job. Using multiple job search methods will help you find a position faster than people who use only one or two resources.

2. Any preparing for a job interview candidate should know about the company profile, pay attention to the job description, one of the best ways to prepare for your interview is practice, get interview outfit ready as early as possible, bring to the interview with Print out some extra copies of your resume, a list of your references in case the interviewer asks for it, as well as a list of questions that you have for the interviewer. If you have never been to the area in which you are going to have the interview, it’s a good idea to go for a visit before the interview, so that you are familiar with your route and how long you need to give yourself to get there.

3. Social Networking is one of the most important components of job searching platform. Social and professional networking sites below to enhance your career and boost your job search. I have used linkedln, facebook, instagram and twitter for advancing your employment and professional growth.

1. I usually look through job bank sites like indeed, snagajob, career builder. I use these because I don’t know of a better way to find out who’s hiring. This is a broad approach to see what jobs are available. It would probably be better to narrow the search so as not to get discouraged.

2. I think the steps to prepare for a job interview is to be confident about my skills.

3. I have not used social networking to advance my employment or professional growth opportunities. I will have to explore this option more.

1. i have used local newspaper , online job finders and facebook groups for job seekers .because there is big number of jobs available .
  2. i search online for the potential job interviewer questions and the best answer to it , also i read the job description very well to know what the employer expect from me and other details .finally doing background research a bout the company i apply for .
  3. facebook , most of facebook group i joined post career development tips , online courses and motivational quotes or stories which help to keep me on the track and don’t lose hope or give up easily .

1. I have used the online medium and also adverts placed on print media to find employment. my reason being that, it provides a wider and faster coverage.

2. Understanding the company through vigorous background checks and knowing their preference is a good tool in preparation.

3. the social media I have participated in includes, facebook, whatsapp, twitter, LinkedIn and Viber. These social media have been used by me to report progress and post processes. This way, people that are connected see and make comments on them.

1.In the past I’ve used multiple job posting boards. Snag a job to craigslist have been used. Since I’m happy with the company I work for currently I use the internal job board.

1. Having a working knowledge of the company you’re applying to is key. Glassdoor is helpful if you don’t know anyone who actually works there. Having skills to do the job you’re applying for and being able to speak to those skills with actual events is helpful too.

3.The only social network I’ve used to acquire work or get my name out there is LinkedIn. My resume and potential contacts are listed for prospective employers to see

1. .- What resources did you use to find a previous job or could you use it to find new positions? Why do you / would you choose these particular resources?

I use Linkedin very often to apply, because the recruiters are always looking for candidates, I remember that it was a friend who had explained to me the use of this social network

1. .- What steps would be most beneficial in preparing a job interview?

The steps that would be most beneficial for a job interview preparation are:
an enthusiastic attitude, a suitable outfit to project a professional image of your own, do not feel in a hurry to answer a question, it would be better to take a break, think carefully, and then answer questions. It would be better to inform about the company as well

1. .- In which social networks did you participate? How could you use these networks to advance your job opportunities and career growth?

I use LinkedIn, tweet, Instagram, and facebook these networks allowed me to advance my job opportunities and professional growth, meeting with people who are already working in companies and who need workers.