CUST105: Unit 4 Discussion

What resources have you used for finding past employment, or might you use for finding future positions? I have used job sites like indeed, snagajob, and craigslist
Why did/would you choose those particular resources? Indeed has worked for me in the past
What steps would be most beneficial in preparing for a job interview? Practice answers to questions potential employers might ask you
In what social networks have you participated? Facebook
How might you use those networks for advancing your employment and professional growth opportunities? I could network with others on there employed in a job a would like to be in

1. In the past I have used many different resources to secure employment. These include online job boards, community job fairs, the career center at my University, and college career counselors. In the future, in addition to using the previously mentioned resources, I want to survey the different types of businesses and positions that require my skill set, and use that to help guide my job search. This will ensure that I am looking for the right kind of job which will significantly impact my overall career success.

2. In preparing for a job interview, the most important steps include drafting responses, practicing answers and elevator pitches, and planning your appearance. Planning some important nonverbal cues ahead of time can make your communications stronger, as well as listing verbal and nonverbal cues you want to avoid. Anything that helps you to feel more relaxed and confident going into the interview is worth your time.

3. I have voluntarily and involuntarily participated in many different social networks. These networks are centered around education, religion, hobbies, sexual orientation, and area of career or study focus. These social networks provide invaluable opportunities for career advancement through job opportunities and development work.

1. Resources I have used in the past, to find employment, are really only one resource. That is word of mouth, which I have used for all of my most previous employments. I heard of a job, applied, and got it, all in one felled swoop, practically. The reason I chose that resource is because that’s basically what was available. I wanted to work close to where I lived, and what I was qualified for, that was the best way to find jobs.

2. Steps that would be beneficial for preparing for a job interview would be to do some research on the company I was interviewing with, think of times I had difficulties in other jobs and how I would handle it (this question always throws me, since there were no difficulties I have experienced) and to dress to the part, if it’s a cowboy job, then jeans and a nice shirt would be appropriate. If the job was an office based position, then perhaps a skirt or dress, nice shoes and minimal jewelry.

3. Social networks I have participated in are facebook and Twitter. Neither have really done much for my job hunting endeavors, and I haven’t been to Twitter in a very long time, although I visit facebook on an almost daily basis. I have liked several different career pages, although none have given me an urge to apply for jobs they post. This is because those jobs are located in big cities, and I’m a country girl and always will be. I tried living in town a few times, but it’s just not for me, and jobs here are hard to come by.

1. In the past I have used a lot of resources to find jobs. I still use these resources to this day. I have used LinkedIn, Indeed, Facebook, and other job websites. I liked these websites because it helps you find certain positions that you are looking for. Whether it be marketing, design, or even photography.

2. When preparing for a job interview, think of what they will ask you and what the best responses to the questions will be. Dress right for the interview, if its a job at a bank dress professionally, if it’s a job at a store still dress nice but you do not need to be dressed up. Try and keep your self calm and not get to nervous.

3. I have used Facebook, an example of how to use it would be if you were a photographer. A photographer could use it to showcase their work. It allows people to see what you can do and what you have done. Let’s them see if depending on the kind of work you do if they want to hire you or buy photos from you. It helps get your work out there and make you known and it helps you make a name for yourself.

1. What resources have you used for finding past employment, or might you use for finding
    The resources I often use to find employment are as follows: I seek job opportunities through newspapers, magazines, the internet, facebook, twitter. Often I visit companies and drop applications so that I may be called up when there is an opportunity. More so I also listen to the radio and watch Television and attend conferences

2. future positions? Why did/would you choose those particular resources?
    I chose those resources because I believe that they are the quickest way I can use to obtain a job, more so, many jobs are often advertised through those resources. With ICT advancing, most jobs are advertised using ICT devices.

3. What steps would be most beneficial in preparing for a job interview?
    The steps include:

• Know the details of the job you applied for.
  • Know the history of the organization.
  • Be early
  • Be clean and well dressed
  • Be confident of your self
  • Ask the interviewer to rephrase the question if you haven’t understood.
  1. In what social networks have you participated? How might you use those networks for advancing your employment and professional growth opportunities?
    I often use watzaps to network. Since this is a social media that groups many people I have the opportunity to be informed early as soon as a job is opened, there is a variety of people and skills we can count on for advise on employment and professional growth opportunities.

1- I used Facebook for finding job employment and now I also use job boards.
2- Read well about the job description and requirements.
Get information about the company from their website or Facebook page.
Send an email with my resume.
Prepare myself for the interview and answer with confidence.
3- I use Facebook and LinkedIn in job employment.When I read the requirements of the interested job, I may find some items I do not have. That makes me read more and try to develop myself.

1. In the past i used the old fashion newspaper classified ads to look for help wanted ads and friends. I’m currently using indeed, linkedin, ziprecruiter, and snag a job. I used the newspaper because at the time there no job postings via, internet. As the future progressed, I found new resources to expedite and assist with my job search so I began to use the internet.
  2. When I prepare for an interview I make sure that my appearance is priority one. So I choose my clothes wisely. I then review my resume to make sure there are no typo,s or spelling errors. Then I practice controlling my opening statement and or introduction.
  3. I currently use linkedin for networking and career focused correspondence, such as job leads and current openings within major companies. As far as utilizing the arena to advance, I would take advice from employed and seasoned professionals to enhance my perspective on possible employment opportunities.