Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ENVS203: 5.2.4 Discussion

Did you know that the ESA not only protects and preserves species, it also protects local economies? Example: Protecting salmon species supports commercial and recreational fishing.

Search online and find another species that is currently being protected so as to support a local economy.

I have googled to find more examples of how the ESA can be good for the local economy, but I have not been able to find any sites. The only articles I found explain that the ESA does not have a bad effect on the local economy as was previously thought. Thinking logically, protecting habitats and species will ensure that certain local economies can continue to exist which otherwise would have been in trouble. I know that there is a duck conservation, so that duck hunters can continue to hunt sustainable. Also wolves are naturally ensuring that reindeer population don’t explode and can even alter the course of rivers. With a healthy stock of fish you can continue to base an economy on fishing, the same goes for whaling, sealing and all other kinds of hunting. I also think that a healthy ecosystem, can provide for the elimination of pests that would otherwise destroy agriculture. I have not found any articles about this yet, so if anyone has any links to this I would love to read about it.

Subunit5.2.4.Discussion: This article shows how other species are protected by the ESA to support a local economy.
Economic Benefit of Saving Endangered Species:Defenders of Wildlife- “More bang for the buck”

In 2011, an estimated 90 million Americans participated in some form of wildlife-related recreation, including hunting, fishing and wildlife watching.These participants spent a total of nearly $145 billion.vi Wildlife watchers alone spent more than $55 billion in 2011, up 7 percent from 2006 when expenditures supported more than one million jobs. While imperiled species can’t take most of the credit for this incredible boon, endangered species protection plays an outsized role in maintaining the wild places and wildlife that form the backbone of the outdoor recreation industry. And saving some species in particular has paid significant economic dividends: Gray wolves A 2006 study by University of Montana researchers found that the return of wolves to Yellowstone National Park brings an estimated $35 million in annual tourist revenue to the region.vii That figure effectively doubles once the money filters through the local economy. Endangered whales Whales entertain more than 6 million watchers in the United States and Canada, who spend more than $1 billion on tours, equipment and in local communities.viii Pacific salmon The value of restoring Pacific salmon to sustainable levels just in the Columbia River basin is estimated to be $475 million. In 2010, restoration efforts created 1,750 jobs and $154 million in economic growth.ix Florida manatees Two state parks in Florida that focus on Florida manatees draw a combined 400,000 visitors each year who spend more than $20 million for the chance to see the graceful marine mammals.x Ocelots State parks in Texas that support the ocelot, an endangered cat, and hundreds of rare bird species are predicted to contribute $9.3 million to the local economy for every 10,000 park visitors.

There is absolute paramount need to preserve and nurture the species that are endangered and threatened, coupled with a respect to all species including our own. What is strikingly concerning is that within this incredible technological era it seems that endangered species etc goes marginally un-notice and un-cared for. I’ve no idea as tot he remedy of this and all other matters. Surly those in position and influence can do more.