ESL004 - Unit 3: Synthesis essay

Post your finished essay. Make sure you read a fellow classmates’ post Evaluate the post and respond by sharing something you learned from their essay.

5 Likes

Is the future paperless?

The paperless future for schools is doubtful in the short run. Students and teachers are more comfortable with the old system ( paper documents). They have more trust in it. People are more keen towards known and well established paper document technology for the following reasons:

1. Comfort of reading and writing paper documents.
  2. Privacy issue ( e-documents can be hacked).
  3. It provides workplaces
  4. It requires minimum investment, compared to paperless system.
    Schools are still buying/renting copiers to implement its work in daily operations.

According to me, it is so past tense. Whether we like it or not, world is moving towards paperless operating system. Of course it is still long way to go. Besides the technological progress, people are also should be psychologically ready for such changes.
First signs of paperless future are already here. Speaking of electronic ID ( identity documents) or possibility to open a bank account online or studying online (which took place especially in coronavirus pandemic time) and many more things…
The paperless world will have its own pros and cons. It will definitely affect the environment in a positive way. So many trees will be saved, which will lead to improving air quality and enhancing flora and fauna conditions. From a negative point of view, the safety matter can be at risk, which people will also find the solution for. Regarding the comfort of reading paper, there is already replacement coming. It is holograms. Even 10 years ago it was something from the realm of fantasy, and today it is part of life.
Technologies are developing exponentially. We can not say for sure when the world will operate in a paperless way, but it definitely will.

4 Likes

GitHub is an american software developing and service company, besides that, Github notably develops the Github platform, the Atom text editor and the Electron framework.

As for the author, he shared lots of information; firstly, he said that Microsoft announced it has reached an agreement to acquire GitHub, this collaboration will empower developers to achieve more success and also bring Microsoft’s developers’ tools to new audience. Secondly, he has mentionned the statements of Microsoft’s and GitHub’s CEOs saying respectively that they will continue to advance GitHub as a platform loved by developers and trusted by organizations, and that reliability, security, and performance were in “top of mind” for them.

In light of this conversation, I think that by joining forces with GitHub, the developers will be able to solve the most pressing issues because they are the center of digital transformation; besides that, the choices these developers make will determine the value creation and growth of each industry.

The author shared another information, he stated that GitHub is used by more than 31 million developers worldwide which means that it is a prominent software where the developers can learn, share and collaborate to create a bright future; thus, will make GitHub even more valuable.

2 Likes

GitHub is an american software developing and service company, besides that, Github notably develops the Github platform, the Atom text editor and the Electron framework.

As for the author, he shared lots of information; firstly, he said that Microsoft announced it has reached an agreement to acquire GitHub, this collaboration will empower developers to achieve more success and also bring Microsoft’s developers’ tools to new audience. Secondly, he has mentionned the statements of Microsoft’s and GitHub’s CEOs saying respectively that they will continue to advance GitHub as a platform loved by developers and trusted by organizations, and that reliability, security, and performance were in “top of mind” for them.

In light of this conversation, I think that by joining forces with GitHub, the developers will be able to solve the most pressing issues because they are the center of digital transformation; besides that, the choices these developers make will determine the value creation and growth of each industry.

The author shared another information, he stated that GitHub is used by more than 31 million developers worldwide which means that it is a prominent software where the developers can learn, share and collaborate to create a bright future; thus, will make GitHub even more valuable.

Topic Controls

Normal

GITHUB is a platform for sofware developers  acquired by MICROSOFT in 2018.

the author shared a plenty of information in this essay ,first, microsoft  appointed Net Friedman  to be its cheif executive  . second ,billions of dollars  were spent  to acquire this software .Then, microsoft worked on developing GITHUB, by enhancing its performance i,e , by making it more accesible for the developers . Finally this software is used not only by millions f developers , but also by giant companies such as google , facebook ect.. in creating their projects .

in light of this conversation , i think that the aquisition of GITHUB by microsoft will enforce the company by allowing the developers to more chances in solving diffrent kind of  electronic problems ;hence , the efforts of these workers will make a huge step in developping such science .

My idea is that Microsoft should build and develop their division or maybe sub-company rather than acquiring GitHub through acquisition. It will benefit Microsoft so much in terms of finances. Microsoft would greatly save their budget on spending so that Microsoft could put the spending into another division and start a new service just like what GitHub gives.
After reading the last sentence, I should say Microsoft is spending its budget highly and financially-consuming, which is for me, Microsoft is not gain any advantages with the price they offered and paid. Knowing the fact that GitHub’s desktop environment software called GNOME has been removed from GitHub to GitLab, which is a different company but has the same service as GitHub, and also known as a competitor of GitHub, proved that Microsoft has not planned everything clearly and being in a rush.

GitHub, Inc. as Wikipedia defines is a " multinational corporation that provides hosting for software development and version control using Git". It offers the distributed version control and source code management functionality of Git, plus its own features.
The importance of Github can be seen in the number of its users and the important programs that are using this platform. As of January 2020, GitHub reports having over 40 million users and more than 190 million repositories (including at least 28 million public repositories), making it the largest host of source code in the world. GitHub is home to all kinds of software projects, from simple programs to today’s most popular apps. Sign up for GitHub. Brilliant things are created on GitHub.

Microsoft in 2018 confirmed that it has acquired GitHub, the popular Git-based code sharing and collaboration service. The price of the acquisition was $7.5 billion in Microsoft stock. GitHub raised $350 million and we know that the company was valued at about $2 billion in 2015. As Microsoft declared they aim to by joining forces with GitHub strengthen their “commitment to developer freedom, openness, and innovation”. The company also said that GitHub will run as an independent unit. Microsoft said the plan was to empower developers as well as bring its tools to new audiences.
But where is Github headed now? in this regard the new CEO can illustrate the future of this company “Our vision is to serve every developer on the planet, by being the best place to build software,” said Friedman. “This is a dream opportunity for all of us at GitHub, and we couldn’t be more excited to roll up our sleeves and start this next chapter,” Friedman said.

To sum up, running a business that supports open-source development needs a light touch and a sensitivity to the needs and requirements of modern application development. With Microsoft’s tenure at GitHub, there’s a definite sense of rejuvenation around the platform—and that’s a very good thing indeed.

Good idea and support but it takes more effort and cost to make such company from nothing.

Reading the title makes me grab an idea of Microsoft were missing something important which is github and now after reading the article it makes me understand this breaking news : Microsoft revealed earlier this year that it’s acquiring GitHub for $7.5 billion. Today, the software maker is confirming that this big acquisition is complete.

Microsoft will operate GitHub independently as a business, to keep its platform and community in place and to allow the service to “retain its product philosophy.”

The announcement made by Microsoft to acquire GitHub for a price of 7.5 billion US dollars (USD) on June had suprised many users and platforms which made Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella tweeted, saying, “I’m thrilled to welcome GitHub to Microsoft. Together, we will continue to advance GitHub as a platform loved by developers and trusted by organizations.”

It is also mentioned Nat Friedman was to become new Chief Executive Officer now comes the hard part: continuing to improve and expand GitHub ,therefore he stated the he lays out three main objectives that he says will be top of mind with the acquisition now closed.

• Ensuring GitHub is the best place to run productive communities and teams
  • Making GitHub accessible to more developers around the world
  • Reliability, security, and performance.

On Friedman’s blog, GitHub is used by more than 31 million developers worldwide. Technology giants including companies like Airbnb, Apple, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft itself have been using GitHub for their open-source projects but it appears that desktop environment software GNOME had created a new compatator of GitHub by completing moving from GitHub to GitLab, another software code sharing, hosting, and version control providing website.

It’s not uncommon to see tech giants acquiring popular platforms for a hefty sum. Github is a popular software code hosting and version controlling platform, and it was expected that sooner or later any tech giant may be interested in acquiring it. And, it is estimated that around 31 million developers and companies globally, including tech giants, use this platform.

In this informative article, the writer has discussed Microsoft acquiring Github. The tech-giant had previously announced their plans for acquiring the popular platform for 7.5 billion US dollars back in June, with the sum to be paid in stock. However, it took a few months to gain approval from the European Union regulators for the acquisition to take place. Furthermore, Nat Friedman was selected to become the new CEO of Github, and this was expected as Microsoft become the new owner of the platform.

The writer also mentioned that Nat Friedman was the CEO of Xamarin, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2016. And, this shows that as he is made the CEO for Github, the platform is in experienced hands for better development and growth.

Moreover, right after the announcement by Microsoft, its CEO, Satya Nadella tweeted welcoming the Github’s inclusion in Microsoft. He further mentioned that while Microsoft will help to develop Github further as a platform for both developers and companies. Bigger companies can opt for better development as they have enough resources and capitals to carry out the necessary changes to accommodate the growing need of the platform, which may not have been possible for Github previously. Hence, the acquisition took place in the first place.

Furthermore, Nat Friendman also informed that Microsoft will now make Github more accessible to an increasing number of developers around the globe. Also, the tech giant will strengthen and improve the Github’s security, performance, and reliability. In short, if any company were planning to move to competitor platforms to Github, due to better opportunities, they might change their mind, with the upcoming development plans of Microsoft for Github.

However, even though Microsoft now owns the platform, it will not make any changes to the platform’s product philosophy. In fact, it will be allowed to operate independently, which could surprise many people. Not making any drastic changes to the platform is a good strategy by Microsoft, otherwise many companies would have shifted elsewhere had there been any major implementations of rules and regulations. Yet GENOME, which is a desktop environment software, has shifted to Gitlab, which is a rival of Github.

My ideas came by analyzing the content of the article and understanding why the writer mentioned specific information. Yes, my ideas grew after synthesizing them with the writer’s ideas to understand the topic and the content.

1 Like

Before reading this article, I knew nothing about GitHub. This article states that the GitHub site was acquired by Microsoft for $ 7.5 billion and that Friedman, who was previously CEO of Xamarin, will become the new CEO of GitHub.

Honestly, as I noted earlier, I did not know anything about GitHub and I can’t agree or disagree with the author, since he understands this topic better than me.

If I was informed or knew this topic properly, I could write my ideas on, if the author is right or not. So far, I share the author’s idea and agree with his point of view, despite the fact that the article is informational.

GitHub is a huge software code hosting which lots of digital platform rely on it.
The author mentionned that Microsoft announced its acquisition of GitHub with a huge amount.

I think Microsoft will benefit from this software a lot. Because all developers around the world are looking for a reliable, secure, and perfect performance which are resembling on GitHub.

It is really common to see companies acquire popular platforms to improve their business every time and Microsoft acquire GitHub for a price of 7.5 billion, the acquisition was welcomed so I think it was a totally good investment, although they now have a competitor.

When I read the article I do not have any idea about this adcquisition so it was the first time. Now I have knowledge about it and my own opinion. For me the writer explain all the information that is useful to understand what happen and people involved on this.

The writer mentioned that Nat Friedman was the CEO of Xamarin, so this tells us that the platform is in good hands because he is someone with experience in that area.

Also he gave us information about how many developers use this platform, which is important to know the advantages they have by having many interested developers.

The article was really interesting, I think I completely agree with the writer and the ideas he has

This write-up is creatively written as it synthesizes both the writer and author’s ideas.
Keep it up @nisrine_ghazi :+1::+1:
However, try to always be mindful of your tense.

GitHub
It is used by more than 31 million developers worldwide which means that it is an outstanding program where developers can learn, participate and collaborate to create a bright future; Hence, it will make GitHub more valuable. All developers around the world are looking for reliable, secure, and optimal GitHub-like performance .
The author noted that Microsoft has announced its acquisition GitHub with a huge amount.
I think Microsoft will benefit from this program a lot.
Because it is a huge software code that many digital platforms rely on Trusted and secure. That is the key So Microsoft Lucky to have the magic program

Technology Giant Microsoft Completes Acquisition of GitHub

Microsoft is a giant technological company that has recently announced its acquisition of GitHub. GitHub is another prominent company, used by developers all around the world. It is claimed that Microsoft, as well as other companies, use GitHub for their open-source projects. On the day of the announcement, Microsoft CEO and GitHub CEO opened up about their thoughts on this matter.

Right after Microsoft announced the acquisition, the CEO of this company Satya Nadella tweeted about her excitement. She wrote that she was so elated to welcome GitHub to Microsoft. She promised that from that time and on, Microsoft will help GitHub to advance and develop as a reliable and loved platform.

The CEO of GitHub Nat Friedman who was previously the CEO of Xamari posted a blog in GitHub. He wrote that on top of their mind was the desire and will to make GitHub a platform available for all the developers around the world as well as dependable and protected. Even though GitHub is under Microsoft they will continue to function autonomously as a platform, business, and community. As it was his first day as GitHub’s CEO, he promised to keep its developer-first values.

Was Microsoft’s acquisition of GitHub a smart idea? In my opinion, the answer is yes. When it comes to what Microsoft could gain from it, the answer is customers. GitHub CEO Nat Friedman, claimed that his main objectives would be: reliability, security, performance, and making GitHub more accessible to developers around the world. He also added that GitHub would operate independently and would keep its product philosophy.

Microsoft made a smart decision by acquiring GitHub. Through GitHub, Microsoft gains more access to developers around the world. That would help Microsoft draw developers who use GitHub towards the services and tools that Microsoft has to offer.

Reliability, security, and performance, are excellent objectives for GitHub since it is a website and those are the main things most users, which in this case are developers, are looking for. One can never be too sure when it comes to a website’s reliability or security, but when that website’s CEO claims that those are his main goals, it makes the user at least a little more comfortable with using the website.

Making GitHub independent from Microsoft and not altering its product philosophy was another very clever decision. That is because a change in product philosophy could have driven some users away. By keeping GitHub’s original product philosophy Microsoft made sure that the old GitHub users would have nothing to worry about when it came to changes in the website. What is meant by that is that any changes made to the websites would be according to the website’s product philosophy.

The article which was used to write this essay was written very objectively, meaning that the author did not provide his/her opinions. Therefore, I do not know whether the author shared the same opinions as mine. The absence of the author’s opinions means that I was unable to synthesize our ideas. As a consequence, these ideas are mine and were not influenced by the author’s ideas, but only by the facts he stated.

GitHub is a popular software development hosting and a version control website It is used by millions of developers and tech-giants worldwide. It is no wonder that a powerful company, such as Microsoft, was interested in acquiring it.

In this article, the author talked about the tech-giant, Microsoft, acquiring GitHub. Microsoft had previously announced plans to acquire GitHub for a price of 75 million US dollars. However, Microsoft had to wait a few months for the European Union regulators to approve the acquisition of GitHub. After acquisition, Nat Friedman was announced the new CEO of GitHub.

The author also mentions that Nat Friedman was the CEO called Xamarin, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2016. Xamarin also worked on software code, specifically applications for IOS, Android and web. In my opinion I think that selecting Nat Friedman as the CEO of GitHub was a good decision because he has experience in the field of software coding and can improve the platform to a greater extent.

Furthermore, after the tech-giant acquired the platform, the CEO of Microsoft, Satya Nadella tweeted that she was excited to welcome GitHub and that they are going to advance the platform loved by other companies and developers. I think that the inquisition was made because the company wants to make improvements to accommodate the needs of companies and developers

Moreover, Nat Friedman stated that he will make the platform more accessible to all developers around the world and that reliability security and performance were going to be top of mind so they can improve them. I believe, that GitHub is going to have less competition because it is in the care of Microsoft, and because it is going to improve a lot as stated by Nat Friedman.

Furthermore, the author also states that a lot of tech-giants have been using the platform for their open-source projects. Even though GitHub was acquired by Microsoft, it was going to operate independently as a platform, community, and business whilst retaining its product philosophy and keeping it developer-first values, which in my opinion doesn’t make a lot of big changes and would benefit the platform. Yet GNOME, a desktop environmental software switched to GitLab, which is a rival company to GitHub, days before the announcement of Microsoft.

My ideas grew while I was synthesizing them with the authors ideas, and I better understanding of the topic and content by doing so.

Microsoft’s GitHub is an American software developing company that was founded in 2008. GitHub is also the world’s largest development platform which supports all programming languages and streamlines the iteration process. It is also used by tech-giants worldwide (no wonder why Microsoft was so interested in acquiring it.

In this article, the author writes about Microsoft’s plans in acquiring GitHub. They even announced a price of 7.5 billion US dollars and it had to wait until the EU regulators approve the acquisition. Microsoft was to pay the amount in stocks. Nat Friedman was announced CEO of GitHub.

After the announcement of Microsoft’s acquisition, the CEO of Microsoft Satya Nadella tweeted that she was very excited to welcome the platform into Microsoft and saying that together they will continue to advance GitHub. Later on, GitHub’s CEO Net Friedman stated that his top priorities were to improve the performance, reliability and it’s security. He also stated that GitHub will continue to operate as an independent platform and retain its philosophy and retaining its developer-first values. The author also mentioned that he also wrote that today was to be his first day as GitHub’s CEO.

Net Friedman was the CEO of Xamarin, a software company that allows developers to create native iOS, Android, and Windows phone applications written in the C# programming language.

Also, the author mentions that according to his blog GitHub has around 31 million developers worldwide and also mentioned the creation of GitLab ( nowadays GitHub rival) which was created by GNOME days before Microsoft announced plans for GitHub acquisition.

GitHub is a code saving, updating, hosting website, and organization that used to work on its own until it got acquired by Microsoft. Allegedly, it will remain the same, but the result remains to be seen.

According to the writer, Microsoft will allow GitHub to function in the same way, the only difference is the change in administration. It will have the same community, features, and functions.

One of GitHub’s competitors is GitLab, a new website very similar to GitHub. Some companies are already switching to it, and from personal experience, GitLab is better than GitHub.

GitHub is used by more than 31 million developers, among those even large companies, and some days before Microsoft announced the GitHub acquisition, some companies switched to GitLab. Under the new administration, GitHub is expected to develop immensely, and the results remain to be seen.

GitHub was a very popular tool before it got acquired by Microsoft, but now it will get even more popular because of Microsofts wide-spread area of usage. The leaders might have changed, but the website will still function in the same way, with the same community, services, features (maybe some new features), but I think that the product philosophy might get slightly influenced by Microsoft’s own philosophy, but the developer-first value will remain the same