Academy Home | Student Dashboard

HIST101 5.1.6/5.3.5 - Duplicated reading

Link: Dr. Steven Kreis’s The History Guide: “Greek Thought: Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle” (HTML)

Instructions: Please read the entirety of the lecture in order to get a sense of the main ideas of the most influential philosophers in ancient Greece.

Both subunits 5.1.6 and 5.3.5 direct the student to the same reading. Each also has exactly the same instruction–so there seems no apparent intention to focus on a different aspect. While I quite enjoyed the reading I’m not sure that I want to see it twice in such quick succession!

Hello
There is also duplicated reading in CS101. Unit 3- 3.1.1 & 3.1.3.

I am getting blocked (again) from the Kreis website based on IP address – maybe the same sort of throttling we subjected others to – so I am not sure what exactly we intended. Our behind-the-scenes document matches the site. I will make an internal ticket for the ed folks to decide about; I expect one of the following:

• ask people to reconsider the document in light of Hellenistic, as opposed to Classical, Greek thought;
  • delete one of the instances;
  • find a document that more explicitly focuses on either Classical or Hellenistic Greek philosophy.

Thanks, Bethany. These are so close together, that trying to distinguish between “read slides 1-3” and “read slide 4 to the end” seems a bit silly with just a single Saylor reading in between.

I think the site may be having some issues. I had the same yesterday problem accessing one page but not another, then on refresh it loaded without any complaint. It looks more like an error than a deliberate throttling.

1 Like

5.3.5 has the topic ‘Philosophy and Science’. While Aristotle’s essentially empiricist position is a better fit to the Western scientific model, I’m not sure that the one sentence outlining this justifies the whole reading being set twice, unless with much more specific guidance. Hellenistic Philosophy is usually considered to come after Socrates, the latest of the philosophers discussed in the article.