File under “small victories”:
Publishing new blog posts now creates a new post in the Blog category (https://discourse.saylor.org/c/blog).
Replies within these forums display on the the blog post itself and readers of the blog post are invited to “start” or “continue” the conversation here in the forums.
You can see this in action by scrolling to the bottom of this post (older posts still use WordPress for commenting, at the moment).
- Blog posts are automatically syndicated to the forums. Since we use blog posts to make announcements, this allows us to gain a wider audience for announcements.
- Adding posts creates more content and opportunity for discussion here in the forums.
- Creates a more integrated user experience.
- Encourages people to create a forums account.
- Commenting on blog posts can only be done via these forums, which means one must have a forums account to post. This makes it less likely that those outside, or mostly outside, our community will share comments.
- Interacting with a blog post by adding a new comment requires coming over to the forums. The creators of Discourse consider this a feature, not a bug, however – Discourse is meant to be interacted with directly rather than through being embedded elsewhere.
- Could encourage creation of spam accounts here in the forums. We have not had much problem with that, but WordPress (which is what runs our blog) is a HUGE target for comment spam.
So keep an eye on the Blog category and please reply as desired – we will be watching there!