Academy Home | Student Dashboard

Let's Go on a WebQuest! Saylor Academy ESL001

Mobile apps is like a computer program that help us to run mobile devices. They are used in many realms such like personal organization, live talks , teaching …etc.
After completing this WebQuest, i have learned new words about computer science very fast and i how to create my own lexicon of computer science.
Furthermore, i have learned some new words such as :
Computer science= a science that study the use and the main principles of computers.
Mobile application = a software program used to run a mobile device or provide a digital service.
Software framework= a platform for developing software applications

1 Like
  1. What did I learn about mobile apps?

I learned that mobile apps were initially created for increasing productivity, but due to public clamor, a plethora of mobile applications for various purposes–gaming, tracking, manufacturing, and purchasing–came to be.

1. How did my English improve by completing this webquest?

I definitely learned some technology jargon in the process of completing the webquest, which can undeniably come in handy especially when writing or talking about mobile applications.

1. What new words did I learn?

One of the terms I came across while doing the webquest was factory automation. I somehow had an idea what it meant without consulting a dictionary, but since I had not encountered the term prior to doing the webquest, I needed to look for its definition to be sure.

Factory automation refers to the use of technology in end-to-end manufacturing to reduce human intervention in the process.

2 Likes
  1. Mobile app. Can be used to help manage emotions
  2. Coming across new words, guessing from the context and enriching my knowledge on that topic
  3. Well-attuned, relatable

1- I learn that mobile apps are very opened, diversified, flexible and simply to use.

2- I think I am more about computing technical lexicology by learning more new words.

3- New words:
Factory automation describes a lot of technologies that reduce human intervention in process;
Rooting is the process of allowing users of the Android mobile operating system to attain privilege control over various Android subsystem;
Provisioning (in telecommunications) involves the process of preparing and equipping a network to allow it or to provide new services to its users;
Containerization is an operation system-level virtualization or application-level virtualization over multiple network resources so that software applications can run isolated user spaces called containers in any cloud or non-cloud environment, regardless of type of vendor.

1.What did I learn about mobile apps?

I learned a lot about mobile apps, most notably:

• The concept of the application.
  • App store concept.
  • How does the user get the app?
  • How can app stores be used in education?
  • The effect of applications on children’s emotional skills.
  • Classification of types of applications.
  • Requirements for developing applications for mobile devices.
  • Security risks of mobile applications for companies.

2.How did my English improve by completing this webquest?

My English improved by completing this web search through many steps, the most important of which are:

• Read blog articles on web search pages.
  • Read the keywords in each article and search for their synonyms and meanings in the Web Dictionary or Google Translate.
  • Inventory of new vocabulary in organized lists arranged alphabetically.
  • Browse the links listed in the article references, as well as the external links.

3.What new words did I learn (use context clues or a dictionary to find the meaning of new words)?

3.1. Wikipedia

a) Run on phrasal verb to continue without stopping; to continue longer than is necessary or expected.
b) Contrast noun [countable, uncountable] a difference between two or more people or things that you can see clearly when they are compared or put close together; the fact of comparing two or more things in order to show the differences between them.
c) Intended adjective planned or designed for somebody/something.
d) Hybrid adjective (of an animal or plant) having parents of different species or varieties.
e) Disguise verb to change your appearance so that people cannot recognize you.
f) Overview noun a general description or an outline of something.
g) Bundle verb [transitive] bundle somebody + adv. /prep. to push or send somebody somewhere quickly and not carefully.
h) Rooted adjective rooted in something developing from or being strongly influenced by something.
i) Retrieval noun [uncountable] (formal) the process of getting something back, especially from a place where it should not be .SYNONYM recovery.
j) Handled verb [transitive] to deal with a situation, a person, an area of work or a strong emotion.
k) Prevalent adjective that exists or is very common at a particular time or in a particular place .SYNONYM common, widespread.
l) Yield noun [countable, uncountable] the total amount of crops, profits, etc. that are produced.
m) Distinguish verb [intransitive, transitive] to recognize the difference between two people or things .SYNONYM differentiate.
n) Involves verb if a situation, an event or an activity involves something, that thing is an important or necessary part or result of it .SYNONYM entail.
o) Constraints noun [countable] a thing that limits something, or limits your freedom to do something. SYNONYM restriction.
p) Emulators noun (formal) a person who tries to do something as well as somebody else that they admire.
q) Interactions noun [uncountable, countable] interaction (between A and B) | interaction (of A) (with B) the act of communicating with somebody, especially while you work, play or spend time with them.
r) Orchestration noun [uncountable, countable] the arrangement of a piece of music in parts so that it can be played by an orchestra.
s) Ignited verb [intransitive, transitive] (formal) to start to burn; to make something start to burn.
t) Demonstrated verb [transitive] to show something clearly by giving proof or evidence.
u) Barely adverb in a way that is just possible but only with difficulty.
v) Launched verb [transitive] launch something to start an activity, especially an organized one.
w) Repository noun (plural repositories)
(formal) a place where something is stored in large quantities.
x) Implemented verb implement something to make something that has been officially decided start to happen or be used .SYNONYM carry out.

3.2. Scholars and Storytellers

a) Attuned adjective [not before noun] attuned (to somebody/something) familiar with somebody/something so that you can understand or recognize them or it and act in an appropriate way.
b) Worthwhile adjective important, pleasant, interesting, etc.; worth spending time, money or effort on.
c) Disappointed adjective upset because something you hoped for has not happened or been as good, successful, etc. as you expected.
d) Astounding adjective so surprising that it is difficult to believe .SYNONYM astonishing.
e) Intertwined verb [intransitive, transitive, usually passive] if two or more things intertwine or are intertwined, they are [twisted] together so that they are very difficult to separate.
f) Tough adjective (comparative tougher, superlative toughest) having or causing problems or difficulties.

3.3. Wikibooks

a) Scavenger noun an animal, a bird or a person that [scavenges].
b) Enabled adjective (in compound adjectives) that can be used with a particular system or technology, especially the internet.
c) Excitement noun [uncountable] the state of feeling or showing happiness and enthusiasm.
d) Enhances verb enhance something to increase or further improve the good quality, value or status of somebody/something.
e) instead adverb in the place of somebody/something.