Academy Home | Student Dashboard

LiDA101: Introduction to digital literacy

Share your thoughts and experiences about digital literacy, for example:

• The major difference between digital skills and literacies is …
  • I didn’t realize that …
  • For me, digital literacy means …”

Source resource: https://learn.saylor.org/mod/page/view.php?id=19541

1 Like

I’m blessed to have been able to grow up with a generation who acquired digital literacies as we had computers in the classroom. #lida101

1 Like

Agreed -having grown up with computers in the classroom makes a huge difference in having a frame of reference and foundation to build digital literacies for the future. At the same time, technology changes at an incredible pace. In your experience, are there new technologies that have evolved since leaving the classroom that required the acquisition of “new” digital literacies?

1 Like

Yes cell phones but it’s more like how much rechy they are… Just the decisions you make like allowing things access to contacts because you just never know…

2 Likes

Digital literacy matters to me because in a world as technologically advanced as we are people need to be able to operate these devices properly. If used right we save our selves time and money.

1 Like

From what I’ve gathered thus far:

Digital Skills are the How
Digital Literacy is the Who, What and Why
Digital Fluency is the When and Where

Digital Skill seems to be the foundation for Digital Literacy, like Reading is the foundation for Literacy.
While DIgital Fluency is the extention of the use of Digital Skill&Literacy, showing wisdom and confidence in using digital technology, for example by correctly understanding and using copyrighted material or citing sources while using diverse application and media.

2 Likes

I found the terms digital skills, literacy and fluency are ill-defined and overlapping. Different writers use the terms in ways that are subtly different or even entirely contradictory.

My broad brush definitions would be that digital skills are the ‘technical’ proficiencies that allow a user to access digital media, tools and resources. For example, being familiar with the operation of a web browser, recognising standard user interface conventions or the basics of search engines.

By contrast, digital literacy implies the thoughtful application of digital skills to acquire, create and distribute information. In this I would include some ability to make judgements about the relative merits of sources, the ability to create content appropriate to the audience and purpose, and the selection of tools to achieve an end.

Digital fluency is perhaps the most difficult term to define. By analogy with language, we might consider it to be demonstrated by ease of use in a wide variety of contexts. Translating this to digital fluency one might look for the use of a wide range of tools and resources, the critical assessment of sources and the ability to synthesise information with ease. This does not, however, capture the essence of the term which seems to carry an implication of ‘naturalness’ in the navigation and exploitation of the digital sphere.

I was somewhat surprised in researching these terms to discover how difficult it was to find or produce clear definitions. Although the terms are in common use not only in academic and educational circles but by the general public there is little agreement on the nuances of each. Although I was able to reach some broad conclusion my interpretations are not universally applicable. When reading any literature on the subject, therefore, it is important to consider how the author is using the terms.

4 Likes

Digital literacy is the need to complete decision based jobs including mastery, facilitation, and visual learning of computational nature, in a dynamic environment demands of include changes based ability, experience based tackling of issues and high awareness of susceptibility of pre existing issues.[quote=“system, post:1, topic:5400, full:true”]
Share you thoughts on Maha Bali’s reflection on digital skills and digital literacies. For example:

• Thanks Maha, I didn’t realise that ……
  • My take home message from Maha’s video is …

Source Resource: https://learn.saylor.org/mod/page/view.php?id=19542
[/quote]

1 Like

Google/Wikipedia:
Digital literacy refers to an individual’s ability to find, evaluate, and compose clear information through writing and other mediums on various digital platforms
Personally I think digital literacy is defined in simpler terms as a person who has access to a computer’s ability to use it and the internet’s social network

“Fluency” is broader than “literacy.” Being ‘digitally literate’ means acquiring the skills to make and create meaning, and select technologies to do so. Being fluent requires competencies and capabilities that go beyond the skill level.“http://blog.core-ed.org/blog/2015/10/what-is-digital-fluency.html
For other definitions visit:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-digital-fluency-definition-example.html
https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/knowledge-hub/digital-fluency

1 Like

I’ve learned that Digital Skills can help you not just in school, but in life as well, such as communication online, scheduling, even organization.

1 Like

Digital Literacy refers to digital skill and digital fluency which is associated with using digital technological tools for getting authentic data and information to do better in education and its development.

1 Like

I am blessed to live in an era where computer and internet is used in study. It is a great help for students and parents to make their life easier by these technology.

1 Like

I am new here…

1 Like

In my own words digital literacy is the basic operators manual on how to learn, consume, or create in a digital environment. The ability to research and support your findings online by using sources is imperative especially when providing citations or following copyright guidelines. On the other hand knowing and being able to find the best resources as a consumer allows one to save money, avoid scammers, or find entertainment without disruptions. Finally having digital literacy when creating media in a digital age gives creators, including businesses, the ability to combine and utilize the many resources online to get their product, service, or message out to other people. All of these factors combined allows individuals with digital literacy to effectively take advantage of and produce online information. #lida101

1 Like

I didn’t realize that there were so many definitions for digital literacy until this exercise. For me, digital literacy is the ability to properly research and gather information. Digital fluency is the ability to take that gathered information and effectively communicate it to others. Digital skills are knowing how and what tools to use that will allow that information to be distributed or disseminated to others in a meaningful way. #lida101

1 Like

Digital leteracy , digital skills and digital fluency these three turm related each other . Digital leteracy means having the skills we need to work in digital field where digital technologies like internet, social media , mobile devices etc. Are essential to play with . Digital skills are our abilities to run digital technologies for doing advance and easy work with our society. And Digital fluency refers to the ability to select and use the appropriate technologies for achieve our goal.

For me, digital literacy is a specific focus on literacy relating to online sources. It’s more important to be consumers and creators of digital literacy today because the internet is the “go-to” for any information, be it factual or fabricated. Digital literacy should help users discern between the two.

For me, digital literacy means, to function well in a digital world without any obstacle. Of course there will be difficulties but even though there are, one shuold deal with them successfully. Also, one should benefit from digital world effectivelt. This is what digital literacy means for me. Thanks for giving the oppourtunity to speak.

Only realized now, how complex the digital world really is.

@waynesummersetthesec That is a great way of summing things up Thanks