Academy Home | Student Dashboard

Management Information Systems - 2.2.1 Activity

"If you were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, would you consider using cloud computing? Find some web-based resources that support your decision. Explain your decision in at least two paragraphs. Hint: you can find materials about this decision by searching on the term “cloud computing for small business.”

Given the advancements in cloud computing technology, as well as the likely future improvements, I would consider, and likely implement, cloud computing. The advantages cloud computing brings as far as cost savings, and even the physical footprint of an organization outweigh some of the cons. Additionally, given the mobile nature of a workforce, with remote workers being a large part of a modern workforce, it allows a better flexibility for talent sourcing.

There is an additional security aspect to cloud computing that improves the cost benefit impact to small businesses. Simple things like having employees store information on a cloud server vs. a hard drive in the case of a laptop loss or theft provide a reduction to security risks and loss of valuable data.

“If you were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, would you consider using cloud computing? Find some web-based resources that support your decision. Explain your decision in at least two paragraphs. Hint: you can find materials about this decision by searching on the term “cloud computing for small business”.”

The decision whether or not to use cloud computing in running a small business would ultimately be based on cost or cost savings. The aspects of cloud computing that would provide many savings for small businesses. Firstly storage of files in digital format thereby reducing physical storage space of filing cabinets, which can be put to other use like storing merchandise. The sophisticated encryption for these files can better be handled by the experts at the cloud company, saving me the cost of hiring an IT person who doesn’t directly contribute to increasing revenue like a salesperson.

Having my inventory, customer billing, payroll, tax and accounting information and run off the cloud servers would simplify my record keeping so that I can concentrate on the operations and increase sales.
Cloud computing would allow my salespeople in the field to update their orders in real time, thereby reducing latency from when confirmed orders and and the goods are shipped to customers.
Small businesses owners can leverage the power of cloud computing and become more operationally efficient for a low monthly fee.

1 Like

Yes, if I was a small business I would opt for cloud computing. Even if it means pulling strings financially. By cloud computing, you are staying with current trends which ultimately allows you to optimize your competitiveness. Being a small business, you are a lower target, in the sense, you can eliminate that chance of having security breaches. This allows for safe and efficient cloud computing.
Cloud computing also reduces physical aspects like filing and filing cabinets. This reduces lag and latency between people and organizations.

2 Likes

It is almost impossible to make a general statement on whether cloud computing is appropriate for a small business. The unique type and size of the business must be considered. Although cloud solutions provide an extraordinary level of performance and adaptability, it is not appropriate for all processes. There is a risk of “over-technologizing” a process beyond what is necessary where a simpler localized solution may be best fit.

For instance, a boutique retailer may be better off with a POS system that can work on or off line. The inability to process a transaction in the midst of an internet outage or other service issue puts revenue at risk if the system can’t access basic product pricing and inventory control information stored off site.

A business that deals in large amounts of data might also be better suited to local servers. Otherwise, the costs to maintain extremely high bandwidth internet service and off site data storage may be prohibitively high. Data security might also be a strong consideration when customer information is handled within a strict regulatory framework that cloud-based services may not abide.

Although cloud computing provides access to a level of sophistication that used to be prohibitively expensive for smaller businesses, it is important to evaluate the exact needs and processes of any business to determine whether cloud-based services are truly the economical and performance improvement they are stereotyped to be. Any business should first exhaust the efficiency of their existing system before considering a change or upgrade, so that the expense will pay immediate dividends versus being a time-wasting experiment.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/disadvantages-of-cloud-computing-4067218

2 Likes

Choosing a cloud based solution would definitely depend on the nature of business . As the time passes more and more companies moving online and going through the case studies it makes sense to use a cloud solution as it would give benefit on focusing more on business rather than managing the I T infrastructure and I T people.

2 Likes

"If you were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, would you consider using cloud computing? Find some web-based resources that support your decision. Explain your decision in at least two paragraphs. Hint: you can find materials about this decision by searching on the term “cloud computing for small business.”

I am currently running a small business and I personally use cloud computing. I am a freelance graphic designer, which requires a lot of storage. I use a MacBook Pro and it gets full of storage quick so with the use of Google Drive, I am able to store receipts, sketches, and other items so I won’t have to boggle my Mac with unnecessary files. I think it is a great idea to have cloud computing because it also keep things organized and filed in area.

Another benefit of cloud computing would if your computer were to crash, the software will still have your information stored within the program. I have had this happen multiple time hence why I started to use Google Drive. I hate to almost finish a project and my Mac dies or crashes and I would have to start the program again. I am now starting to keep native files and such just in case my Mac or external hard drive crashes.

1 Like