Need Facilitator

Hi, I need the help of the moderator of psychology 101 course, to clarify some confusing issues for me. Thanks. And if there is any elite in the field who feels he/she can help should please signify and let benefit from each other.

We don’t have a course moderator, but I’m happy to help clarify as best I can (although I’m not an expert), and maybe other students here can help, too.

What are your questions?

Thanks. First I will like to know more about alcohol and gaba neurotransmitter or the effect of alcohol on the nervous system

I hope this helps

One of the most powerful effects of alcohol is to reduce the pace of brain activity by a combination of effects that reduces the excitatory actions of the neurotransmitter glutamate and enhances the inhibitory actions of the neurotransmitters gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and glycine (Manzo-Avalos & Saavedra-Molina, 2010).
Furthermore, the influence of alcohol on excitatory glutaminergic and inhibitory GABAergic and glycinergic synaptic transmission is primarily attributable to the activity of alcohol on ligand-gated ion channels triggered by these neurotransmitters. Alcohol decreases the function of the neurotransmitter in ligand-gated ion channel receptors called N-methyl-D-aspartate, or NMDA, the class of glutamate receptors in synapses that use glutamate. Ion movement through the channel that is part of this receptor had decreased. This influence of alcohol can lead to memory loss that occurs during acute alcohol consumption due to less excitation in the neural pathway and more inhibition. Aside from memory loss, it will also cause impulsive behavior, slurred speech, and slowed reflexes because the glutamate site becomes less effective thus information flow slows down leading to these symptoms. On the other hand, alcohol increases the activity of inhibitory GABA and glycine neurotransmitters at receptors called GABAA and glycine ligand-gated ion channels (Burgos et al., 2015).

Thanks. This shows that alcohol works as antagonist for some neural pathways but work as agonist for GABA receptor by GABA mimicking/having the same role gaba plays/have on other neural pathways on gaba itself.