New Study Guide from Saylor Academy: PHIL304: Existentialism

What does it mean to exist? What is the essence of the human condition and human existence? Does anyone know the definite true answer to these tough questions? Whether we believe we do or not, we all have lots of opinions and experiences to bring to the table.

Saylor Academy’s new study guide for PHIL304: Existentialism will help you boil down the major thoughts and ideas of eight major existentialist philosophers, so you can understand their take on these fundamental philosophical questions, as we compare and contrast their primary work with one another.

Join us as we explore the main ideas of Blaise Pascal, Søren Kierkegaard, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Friedrich Nietzsche, Martin Heidegger, Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, and Albert Camus.

Mia Wood, Ph.D., professor of philosophy at Pierce College in Woodland Hills, California has created this new study guide to help you: consider the philosophical foundation to these perplexing questions, pass the Saylor Academy final exam, and be on your way to a successful career!

PHIL304: Existentialism at Saylor Academy includes the following eight units:

Unit 1: Blaise Pascal
Unit 2: Søren Kierkegaard
Unit 3: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Unit 4: Friedrich Nietzsche
Unit 5: Martin Heidegger
Unit 6: Jean-Paul Sartre
Unit 7: Simone de Beauvoir
Unit 8: Albert Camus

Click on this link to visit our new study guide for PHIL304: Existentialism.

We are creating a slate of study guides to help you succeed and we would love your feedback! Respond to this message to let us know what you think!

Happy studying!!

Christine Mullins
Education Project Coordinator
Saylor Academy

This is great news indeed. I have been trying to study this Philosophical discipline for some time, but it has yielded no Positive dividend as yet. So, I strongly believe that this study guide will be to me, what a storm free sea is to a sailor. Work made easy. And for a Zambian interested in learning this program like me, this study guide is a gem indeed for what it will help me achieve. Keep up the good works.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful comment! I have sent its content to Dr. Mia Wood, the professor who wrote the content for this study guide. I am sure it will make her day as it did mine.

Dr. Wood really did an excellent job summarizing the primary themes of each philosopher in this study guide and comparing them with their predecessors. She crystalized their central ideas to make them understandable and to indicate their areas of genius. I also studied some philosophy at university and it is difficult work. We are so glad to help you in your studies!

Thank you and stay safe during these uncertain times. It is a great time to study with Saylor! Chris.