PHIL102: Definitions

Evaluate the definitions presented below. If you find a definition to be inadequate or flawed, try to provide a better definition.

Share your thoughts on the discussion forum. Review comments and alternative definitions that other students have posted, and respond to at least one or two other students’ posts.

1. Discuss Mark Twain’s definition of love: Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.

2. Discuss this definition of cloud: A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change.

1 Like

Mark twins definition of love is very self-centered. If I have a desire to be desired then that isn’t love? love is more than a desire to be desired, but it is a desire to be the best you can for another person. It is a willingness to give to someone else.

As far as the definition of a cloud being a large, semi-transparent mass with a fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change can describe a lot of different objects. There is no specificity to this definition.

1 Like

Love is an irresistible desire. It is an emotion of urge and impatience to achieve the person who is desired, but it is not something that can be irresistibly desired in return because the person we love is our irresistible desire, that does not mean we will be responded equally from the other end. That would be known as obsession not love.
Love is all about showering your irresistible desire in the shape of happiness and care for that person, and not to expect anything in return. This is called unconditional love.

Clouds are large but there are smaller size fleecy texture fixed on the sky too. They come in different sizes and shapes. So a cloud is a semi- transparent mass with fleecy texture that is moving in one direction while changing in shape and size.

2 Likes

love is a feeling of giddyiness and happiness where they want tobe with the other person as much as they want them with u .they would get butterflies and a upset belly you never want to be without that loved one.

1. Love is a feeling or emotion of affection or liking of someone or something.
  2. A cloud is a large, semi-transparent mass with fleecy texture suspended in the atmosphere whose shape is subject to continual change. The definition is not clear. It does not explain clearly what size that can be categorized as large. It mention semi-transparent mass but does not mention what kind of material is cloud. I think cloud here refers to condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere.

I agree that there is no specificity to this definition. The meaning of large here is not clear and the object that makes cloud should be condensed water vapor not other objects.

Love is the ability to show affection to another person without expecting anything in return but there are cases in which the feelings are mutual.
While cloud is anything that makes things foggy or gloomy

No man or lady truly realizes what immaculate love is until they have been hitched a fourth of a century. … Genuine romance is the main coronary illness that is best left to “run on”- - the main love of the heart for which there is no assistance, and none wanted. - Mark Twain’s Notebook. The course of free love never runs smooth

I need to worry from the beginning that, in shielding the proposition that awareness is a procedure in the mind, I am making an effort not to contend that when we portray our fantasies, dreams, and sensations we are discussing a procedure in our cerebrums. That is, I am not asserting that announcements about sensations and mental pictures are reducible to or analyzable into proclamations about mind forms, in how ‘discernment articulations’ are analyzable into explanations about conduct. To say that announcements regarding cognizance are explanations about cerebrum forms is clearly bogus. This is appeared (a) by the way that you can portray your sensations and mental symbolism without knowing anything about your mind forms or even that such things exist, (b) by the way that announcements about one’s awareness and articulations about one’s cerebrum forms are checked in altogether various manners, and © by the way that there is nothing self-opposing about the announcement, "X has a torment yet there is nothing going on in his mind. " What I would like to declare, nonetheless, is that the announcement "Awareness is a procedure in the mind, " despite the fact that not really obvious, isn’t really bogus. "Cognizance is a procedure in the cerebrum, " on my view, is neither self-conflicting nor undeniable; it is a sensible logical theory, in the way that the announcement, "Lightning is a movement of electric charges, " is a sensible logical speculation.

The everything except generally acknowledged view that a declaration of character among cognizance and mind procedures can be precluded on coherent grounds alone infers, I think, from an inability to recognize what we may call the ‘is’ of definition and the ‘is’ of sythesis. The qualification I have as a top priority here is the distinction between the capacity of the word ‘is’ in explanations like, "A square is a symmetrical square shape, " "Red is a shading, " or "To comprehend a guidance is to have the option to act fittingly under the proper conditions, " and its capacity in proclamations like, "His table is an old pressing case, " "Her cap is a heap of straw integrated with string, " or "A cloud is a mass of water beads of different particles in suspension. " These two kinds of ‘is’ proclamation make them thing in like manner. In the two cases it bodes well to include the capability "and that’s it. " In this they vary from those announcements where the ‘is’ is an ‘is’ of predication; the announcements, "Toby is 80 years of age and that’s it, " "Her cap is red and that’s it, " or "Giraffes are tall and that’s it, " for instance, are garbage. This sensible element might be depicted by saying that in the two cases the syntactic subject and the linguistic predicate are articulations that give a satisfactory portrayal of the situation to which the two of them allude.

Good description of cloud