PHIL102: The Importance of Critical Thinking

Consider the following questions below from a variety of angles. Then, share your thoughts on the discussion forum. Make sure to review and respond to one or two other students’ posts before logging off.

1. Is critical thinking important? Why, or why not?
  2. How will the understanding and use of critical thinking benefit you in your life now and in the future?
  3. How do emotions affect one’s ability to think critically?
3 Likes
  1. Critical thinking is important. It is a tool to help us to analyze, assess and improve the way we treat information (concept, assumption, interpretation, etc). Critical thinking helps people to think creatively, solve their problems systematically and review their point of view.
  2. The understanding and use of critical thinking helps me to make better decisions now and in the future. As a teacher, I need critical thinking to make better planning, analysis and reflection every day. It can be a tool to gather and apply information, consider the implication and explore other point of views. It leads us to be a self-learner and more independent.
  3. Emotions can affect one’s ability to think critically. Emotions can decrease our critical thinking. It can cloud our judgment to reason and fact. Emotion can support critical thinking when emotions (feelings) lead us to think critically about an issue.
5 Likes

critical thinking is important because it heps us us to make a good decision and improve the way we think . your able to solve exremly hard problems.c without critical thin think people will act on impulse which could get them hurt or hurt someone else. your emotions help u think critically because they detremine how you will response in every situattion.

1 Like

I think you’ve given a very reasonable response to the question(s), Maria.

I’d like to briefly share some additional perspective based on my own personal experiences:

1. I would go a step further and rate critical thinking as paramount to success, regardless of applied field. Even the most advanced technical knowledge in a given field is of limited use if it can’t be absorbed and applied in a rational manner.

2. Critical thinking has been imperative to my own career success; not just in the ability to sythesize new information and make sound decisions based on that data, but - more importantly - it forms the foundation of conducting a candid self-assessment, providing the ability to accurately determine your own stengths & weaknesses and, ultimately, a forward-looking improvement plan.

3. With certainty, emotions can initially cloud one’s critical thinking abilities; however, I’ve found that focused work in the area of emotional intelligence can restore a sense of “equilibrium” in this area, allowing one to consciously recognize, and counteract, the initial tendency towards emotional bias.

2 Likes

Your reasonings about critical thinking are very thoughtful.
Critical thinking is a corner stone in our everyday lives. without it we cannot be creative or great problem solver. Critical thinking provides us the ability to coordinate, negotiate and convince others. Critical thinking rules the word by its principles such as law of logic and methods of scientific reasoning. Critical thinking sparks our curiosity and fade away bias in regard of what we see and think about.

1 Like

criticical thinking i agree is important. it heps us to to understand the concepts and assumption of things and solve probleming. The person that uses and understands criticical thinking the right way heps the othe person make better decisicon for the futur and bettter plannin and reflectionevery every day it can be how the or where they find there infomation of the kinda learner they are. there emotion can affect ther way they think they can decreasre there thinking

1 Like

The critical thinking it is importance,it is help in solutions the complexes problemes by away systematic,also critical thinking provide of tools logical and rasional.

2 Likes
  1. Critical thinking is important because it serves as tool through which we are able to think about what we are thinking about.
  2. I believe that the mastery of critical thinking will now and in the future help me to improve myself,avoid biases, and maintain objectivity.
  3. For me I think in the aspect of forming a conclusion, emotions can affect the ability of a person to think critically enough and this most of the times tend towards logical fallacy.
3 Likes
  1. Critical thinking is important because he helps us to think while thinking, it stretch us beyond just thinking but fact finding.
  2. It will help me weigh statements whether they are fact or not even without been giving any evidence.
  3. Emotions can affect thinking, infact the reason why people don’t think out the box is because we are to emotional instead of been logical.

You’re very correct

You have the right words

1. yes, being able to think critically plays an important role both in our social and personal life. it’s always good to be able to recognise problems and solve them, it helps us build mindful trust and be a trust worthy and reliable person, in our social life it will help us to build a career creatively or even manage some on else’s business while being able to solve problems and give true information of how to grow the process.
  2. being able to sort my thoughts and rely on how I think and what is my point of view is the most important goal for me, I am planning to continue my studies in higher levels so it will definitely help me grow in my path.
  3. if you are emotionally attached to the matter, then you won’t be able to think straight, your judgment is going to be corrupted, if you are going to gain or lose according to the opinion you are going to give then you are probably work that in your own favour, it’s important to always take a step back from the subject and then look at the bigger picture, the you will be able to disconnect yourself from any emotional attachment you may have about the subject
2 Likes

brief an affective. thanks

I agree.

Research has proposed that when we are enthusiastic, our basic reasoning capacities decline drastically. … In the event that competitors don’t control their feelings, there are not kidding outcomes. The more passionate they get, their capacity to think basically diminishes and they lose center.

Basic reasoning is the capacity to ponder what to do or what to accept. It remembers the capacity to draw in for intelligent and free reasoning. Somebody with basic reasoning aptitudes can do the accompanying :

comprehend the legitimate associations between thoughts

distinguish, develop and assess contentions

recognize irregularities and regular slip-ups in thinking

take care of issues methodicallly

distinguish the significance and significance of thoughts

consider the defense of one’s own convictions and qualities

Basic reasoning doesn’t involve aggregating data. An individual with a decent memory and who knows a great deal of certainties isn’t really acceptable at basic reasoning. A basic scholar can conclude results from what he knows, and he realizes how to utilize data to take care of issues, and to look for significant wellsprings of data to educate himself.

Basic reasoning ought not be mistaken for being contentious or being disparaging of others. Albeit basic reasoning aptitudes can be utilized in uncovering paradoxes and awful thinking, basic reasoning can likewise assume a significant job in agreeable thinking and helpful undertakings. Basic reasoning can assist us with obtaining information, improve our hypotheses, and reinforce contentions. We can utilize basic intuition to upgrade work forms and improve social establishments.

You can increase various advantages from acing basic reasoning abilities, for example, better control of your own learning and compassion for different perspectives. Basic Thinking is, to put it plainly, self-guided, self-taught, self-checked, and self-remedial thinkin

Feelings are made when the cerebrum deciphers what’s happening around us through our recollections, contemplations, and convictions. This triggers how we feel, and carry on. Every one of our choices are impacted by this procedure here and there. … Feelings can influence the idea of the choice, yet the speed at which you make it.

2 Likes

Good comprehensive

Good description

1. Critical thinking is very important. Although it is not innate, much like creativity, it is a skill to be learned, developed, and practiced. If done right and consistently, it can spill over other aspects of your life, besides learning and working, as it helps you learn to better comprehend, analyze, and treat information, thus allowing you to become more mindful about your choices, to be able to break old habits by recognizing your own thought patterns and thinking processes.

2. As a student and a learner, critical thinking has helped me in several aspects of my life. In personal endeavors, as well as in social settings, although I always try to hold myself to a set of standards (such as, always trying to aim for constructive criticism in my social life).
    It should also be noted that critical thinking was predicted to be the second most important skill in 2020, complex problem-solving being the first, and creativity, the second.

3. Emotions can affect one’s ability to think critically, as they can cloud one’s judgement. From a psychological perspective, a few manifestations of this phenomenon could include cognitive dissonance, neurosis, and other states of anxiety (quite common in our modern way of life). This does not mean that emotions completely hinder our cognitive abilities. In fact, with the help of critical thinking, we can learn to detach from those patterns, to try and discern things in a more objective way.

1 Like

As a student, I can only agree on the teaching part you mentioned. I am glad to see teachers here learning about critical thinking and time-management, as it can be difficult to achieve in our knowledge work industry. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

It’s an interesting approach to see critical thinking as a tool for self-improvement.

1 Like