Academy Home | Student Dashboard

PHIL103 Assignment 3.3

PHIL103 Assignment 3.3 (Human Organs as Commodities) says: “List the ethical dilemmas which arise surrounding the donation and scarcity of kidneys. Write a one paragraph position paper about one of those issues, arguing for your position with concrete arguments.” It does not require that the paper be posted here, but it made sense to me to post it anyway.

With the great need and relative shortage of organs available for transplantation, many ways to bridge the gap are being considered today. One policy to that end is presumed consent. In this practice, when a person dies, their organs are taken for transplantation unless they (while living) have requested otherwise. Ethically, this practice seems sound. While philosophies differ on what happens after a person dies, most would agree that the person’s body will no longer be used by that person; arguably, the person’s body is no longer in their possession. The opt-out would be used in the case of those religious or philosophical views which do require that the body remain intact after death. A possible concern with this approach is sufficiently educating and informing the public about organ donation. While this is an important consideration, it is not insurmountable; the public perception of smoking, for example, has been drastically changed within the last two or three generations, so educating the public on medical and health issues certainly can be accomplished. Another possible issue with presumed consent is the argument that the opt-out requires action and may unfairly burden some people. This point is valid, but can also be accounted for by making the opt-out process as simple and accessible as possible. In the U.S., which does not currently practice presumed consent, methods already exist to track organ donors, so it should not be difficult to similarly track those who wish to opt out in a presumed consent approach. In summary, presumed consent is a significant ethical possibility in meeting the need for organ transplants.

1 Like

I think it is unethical unless the person said they wanted to donated their organs to someone else or there bodies to science because just because their dead does not mean they still arent there I believe everyone has a spirit and if you go and take there body parts u are still hurting them . People believe all sorts of things and just because some one is dead does not mean they arent or werent there. You dont know if the person had religous or moral beliefs against having theier kidneys removed so u shouldnt touch them unless they specifically say they want them donated. I believe when a person turns a certian age they should have be required to fill out wether they want to donate or not and have to fill it out every ten years just encase they change their mind. I know the need for transplants for all organs are on demand but it is unethical to take someones body parts for anything. Dead people used to live and breath to. they should have a say what happens to there body after death. I know they use a bunch of bodies that are either had no family,jane or john does. but they were alive before and deserve to be identified and with oall the techinally today it wont take long. I think that even if it was a person in jail they should have their body respected. God didnt put you on earth to steal other peoples body parts in fact i think organ transplatation is wrong period i think that you should live with what god gave u because he made everyone like they are for a reason maybe god thinks the dieing person is strong enough to handle it so he made them that way. I believe everything happens for a reason