Academy Home | Student Dashboard

POLSC201: Unit 1 Discussion

Socrates submits there to be three classes, each with specific roles.

1- Rulers: The first of the three classes, as the name implies, rules in service of the other classes, and self.
2- Auxiliaries: Aid the ruling class and agree to be ruled wisely, supporting/protecting the aligned vision of the state.
3- Craftsman: Similar to auxiliaries, craftsman agree to be ruled wisely and conduct day-to-day tasks.

In order to understand how the Socratic Method is being used in modern society, we must first grasp the concept of the Socratic Method.

Socrates’s style of dialogue consists of many questions and answers presented at a rapid pace. This type of questioning is done in order to produce new thought on a specific topic. The Socratic Method, done correctly, will end with the listener deprived of an acceptable answer to their primary question, instead, with any luck, they will have eliminated a multitude of preconceived ideas on a particular topic, making room for new thought.

This type of Socratic Method is seen in our school system. Teachers use this ancient method to provide their student with new thought, and elimination of their preconceived ideas that culture has imposed on them. Legal scholars push the boundaries on our values and understanding with the presentation of probing questions and controversial thought. Finally, we see the Socratic Method used with medical practitioners, who do not settle for a diagnosis when symptoms seem to direct them to such, rather dig deeper into other potential diagnoses, unwilling to settle for preconceived verdicts.

These professions listed above are more inclined to use this Socratic Method because without it, advancements could never be made. Schools would remain stagnant at the omission of new thought, legal scholars would have nothing new to write due to an acceptance of the status quo, and doctors would have the same list of diseases and cures, since no effort to discover more would be made.

Unit 1.2 Activity 1

Socrates’s “Ideal City” had three classes: the producing class, the auxiliaries, and the guardians as the highest class.

The proper role for the producing class in this ideal polis is to provide life’s necessities to the citizens of the city. They farm, are doctors, craftsmen, etc. As for the middle class, the auxiliaries, this is the warrior class and their role is to protect against invaders and fight for the city in the various wars that will come up. Finally, the role of the guardian class is to rule and if absolutely necessary, make policies. The auxiliaries and guardians get a very privileged education in order to prepare them for their roles.

Socrates believed that the “Ideal City” should be comprised of three classes.What are these classes,and what does he believe are their proper roles?

Socrates was one of the wisest and a righteous man in ancient Greece and well known from his motto “that the wisdom is to know nothing”.His utopia was an ideal city “Kallipolis” which derives from "Kallos" beauty and “Pollis” which means the city.
In 399 B.C had sentenced for atheism and responsible for the corruption of the youth in society,from the tyrannical oligarchy of "triaconta" (thirty people who had overthrew democracy).
Indictment was only a fake pretext for his political persecution,as we know that in Ancient Greek religion weren’t sacred books,religious laws and priesthood.The oligarchy stay only for 8 months and had an inglorious end.

The Ideal city had three classes (trimeric) , anachronistic,and class was mean to be a liturgy for the society and not a team,slavery or race identity,with justice as the unique model.
Men and Women suggested to have equal education and the political constitution was called “timocracy”.
Other,different constitutions or political parties was serving finally people with priviledges including properties,other interests or generally fortunes.

The three classes were the following:

Auxilliaries:.Warriors that defending the city.Ruling the producers and acting like soldiers.

Guardians:
Must have a good physical conformation,education, they rule the State.Also philosophers?

**Producers:**This class was the augmented part of the city including agriculturals,technicians,traders,but had the authority to get rich with limits.If their children had skills they could jump into the next higher class.

Since I am not sure how to create a new thread, I am creating mine on a reply–sorry!

Socrates vision for an Ideal City consisted of three classes, which included * Auxilliaries, roles: army men, *Guardians, roles: strong men, and Producers, roles: middle class.

Hello Cherise feel free to post here, that’s why I have created it , to learn from others.Thanks

I would like to make a definition about my assignment and what I meant about timocracy. I found many sources on the Web, with explanations such is “timocracy gave to owners with properties the privilege to become a member of the government”.
Socrates and the work of Plato, and other Greek sources said that the lower classes could get richer if they had worked, or jump into higher classes, especially if their children had had enough skills.
Timocracy from the Greek “timi” τιμη which means honour, cannot be honor for a government to be surrounded by a bunch of rich people. In contradiction, the honor was meant to be a critical thought, like “I won’t throw a garbage so I won’t get a ticket”.And that’s why was the ideal city an utopia. It’s difficult for everyone to think in a same manner, that a government needs illegality to get richer. That doesn’t mean to go to other extreme edges.

I totally respect every aspect and position, but the course *’*historical methodologies’ *referring that sources on the Web are not always true.
As I’m updating this post I would like to support my thesis with an evidence from the question and the answer of the quiz of 1.3 Quickfire QUIZ and the second question-Which of the following statements concerning the roles of men, women, and children
would be consistent with Plato’s vision for the ideal city?Answer-Women and men would receive similar education, and would take on the same
political roles

POLSC201: Introduction to Western Political Thought

Activity: Saylor
Academy’s Socratic Method Short Answer Question

Instructions: As you now understand, the
    classic Socratic Method involves dismantling prior ideas in order to
    free the mind of preconceived notions. By definition, this method
    deconstructs all prior thoughts on a topic and leaves the learner
    without a satisfactory answer to the primary question. Examining how
    the Socratic Method is used in contemporary society - particularly by
    teachers, legal scholars, and medical practitioners - will help you
    understand this approach to teaching and learning.

Write a short paragraph explaining why
    you believe these professions are more inclined to use the Socratic
    Method of instruction. Feel free to also share your thoughts

We the people have to admit that we exist in a century where with no doubt we are considered far away from ancient methods, in that case of Socrate’s method.
One major factor is that the value of Dialectic Art ought to be teaching today. The depth and the real meaning of Logos have been replaced from an image plan and the substantial extinction of philosophy.
We mostly see a superficial introduction to Buddha, to the Philosophy of Jesus, of Epikouros and Confucios.
With the Socratic Dialectic Method we can reveal all the unknown, dark and vague concepts.According to Socrates the application of Dialectic method drives to the disclosure of the ‘*double ignorance’ deriving from the following comparisons

• parable and comparison

• quote and correlation

• proportion and match

In other words, only with parallelism of the same category of every fact and every phenomenon we can discover each covert truth and Law , the definition that will help us in our work or assesment.
It’s not easy to feature an open mind to allow us to awareness that we have to grow up spiritually. The Art of discovery through the interpretantion of symbols and the finding of substance constituted the major themes and topics of the Academy of Plato and the Lyceion of Aristotle both of them consisted the quintessence of Greek education.

The use of Socratic method without any doubts is an error-free method which leading in the aware of the malignancies, a place we hide in our souls and we usually never being in the position to suspect.
Within the situation of double ignorance we don’t want to admit that we don’t know and it’s a dangerous condition of our mind.
The antidote is to work the Divine commandment of Apollo Know Thyself.

"Why does he consider friendship to be a critical component of the good life? How might Plato have responded to such an assertion? "

There is a saying which I have come to know and appreciate when it comes to friends: “Show me your friends, I’ll show you your future.” For Aristotle, then, I suppose in some regard this is what he was saying. A man’s virtues are greatly swayed by what his peers, his friends, claim is virtuous. No one willing goes against his friend group-unless for some deeper conviction stronger than friendship. On the other hand, if ones friends claim murder is right, a virtuous man may find the strength to argue with even his best friends. That, I believe would be Plato’s response. That no matter how strong a friendship, virtue will always will the battle.

The three classes of the ideal city are:

1. Guardians or Rulers. Who will make the rules and make sure that everybody will obey them, but those same rules may be broken by the ruling class at their convenience.

2. Auxiliaries or the rulers assistants:
    Soldiers, police. They will have the role of surveilling, and forcing, every person to follow the rules designed and made for every inhabitant of that specific City-Nation.

3. workers or producers. Every person who, being in the lowest place of the economical class, most produce some kind of item needed by the rest of community.

As we understand democracy as the best form of government, how then, should we interprete Aristotle’s claiming "When the
masses rule, a constitution is a polity if they rule well and a democracy if they rule badly."
I would appreciate an explanation. Since I don’t have a formal education, my comprehension may be limited.

Aristotle divides friendship in three categories:
1 Friendship of utility
Is a relationship where “love” is measured by the benefits that each individual brings to the other. For instance, when two persons work together in a project they need each other mutually and when that work ends, so the “friendship” ends as well.

2 Friendship of pleasure
Is that where two persons get along well and haves pleasure in doing things together. An instance of this is drinking, going places, playing games, etcétera. This kind of Friendship is given more often in young persons. And it is of short duration as well, because young people tend to change their mind continually. So, after their craving is satisfied they move onward searching for new adventures.

3 Friendship of the good
As Aristotle writes “The perfect form of friendship is that between the good, and those who resemble each other in virtues" this kind of Friendship is given between good and virtuous people. Furthermore, it is the type where each person shows care and interest for the wellness of the other, and where one can count your friends with one hand’s fingers as well. Because you need to spend time in the cultivation of “good, virtuous” friends, and being so, you can’t make to many friends for not having the needed time to dedicate on that matter.

Socrates defines three classes that would exist in his vision of an ideal city: the producers, the warriors or auxiliaries, and the rulers. The producers act on so-called appetitive desires to generate wealth and support the city by what they can make. The warriors are trained to value honor and the safety of the city above all else. The rulers are those select few who think only of the well-being and the care of the city as a whole - people who have exemplified true knowledge and wisdom, and can be called philosophers.

The Socratic method is beneficial in professions such as medicine, law, and teaching because the idea is to help people think deeper and see things in a new light. By asking a series of pointed questions that redirect or break down thoughts, one can help others see their point of view or change their way of thinking to another. In medicine, this method can help a doctor decide on a diagnosis and treatment, and in law it can help the court reach a verdict. In teaching, this method is very beneficial because it helps broaden a student’s mind and helps them see and understand things more clearly.

Aristotle believed that virtues are cultivated through experiences and relationships - friendship being one of the most beneficial. At it’s more basic level you can gain benefits, pleasure, or both, from friendships. The highest form of friendship is that in which a good person is friends with another good person and they can help each other grow and take care of each other’s physical and mental well-being.

Why does he consider friendship to be a critical component of the good life? How might Plato have responded to such an assertion?

Friendship is something precious. For me ist two things are very important for real friendship. Honesty and trust. Real friendship does not have to be played. Maybe, that would be Plato’s answer.

“The worst kind of injustice is the played justice” Plato.

Think about how you would interpret Aristotle’s famous quote, “Man is by nature a political animal”. What does he mean by this?

Man is by nature a social being. People need social environment, community to live or survive. The natural urge of man to live in a community makes him a political creature.

At the center of the Socratic method is the art of questioning.Each topic can be the subject of a Socratic conversation, which can be discussed with the help of the reflection on the experiences of the participants in the conversation.

The three classes in Socrates “ideal city are the Producers, Auxiliaries and Guardians. Producers are the producing class and make up the largest class of society; this group includes all professions other than warrior and ruler. This group includes famers, craftsmen, merchants, doctors, artists, actors, lawyers, judges, and so forth. According to Socrates, in his ideal city the producers have no share in ruling, but simply obey the rules set by the rulers. Their focus is exclusively on producing whatever it is that they are best suited to produce such as agriculture, shoes, carpentry or medicine etc.
The Auxiliaries are the warrior class who are responsible for defending the city from invaders and for keeping the peace at home. Auxiliaries are also responsible for enforcing the convictions or rules of the guardians.
The Guardians are the ruling class within Socrates ideal city and are solely responsible for ruling and setting the rules for the city. Guardians chosen from among the ranks of the auxiliaries, and are also known as philosopher-kings.

I’m just coming into this discussion place and not really sure if I know where they buttons are yet so, I will use a reply to make my contribution.
Socrates definition of an ideal city in this three classes Producers, farmers and artisans may be subjected to debate, but like in present society where everyday news is about chaos, disasters and injustice, isn’t it obvious that Socrates may be dreaming of a paradise on earth that is beyond a society ruled by humans? I think to understand or even grasp why Socrates thinks this way, it is important to understand Socrates method.