Academy Home | Student Dashboard

PRDV005: Time Estimate Activity - End of Unit Two

This is a response to the end of Unit Two: Identifying Stressors and Distractors for PRDV:005 Stress and Time Management.
This is for part two where the instructions are to post on the discussion form to get feed back from others and to get notes from the community to see how we can improve on what we have learned so far. Spoiler alert: This is just a summary of what I actually wrote.

In total unit two only took me about three hours to complete against the five hours that were recommended needed to complete this unit. I believe it only took me three hours because I was able to sit down and focus my attention on the topic at hand and take notes. I did have minor distractions, as I am working today and work from home, I did have to stop every now and again to take incoming calls and assist my technicians. I put my personal phone on vibrate and only checked it when I took a break, this helped a lot due to not having different notifications distracting me.

The Pomodoro Technique worked better for me in 15 minute intervals with 5 minute breaks, I work seven days a week from home and I’m constantly having to do something for work all day. So being able to limit the time that I give to something actually makes me more eager to return back to it so I can finish it. Usually on my 5 minute breaks I do something quick for work so I can return back to my original task at hand.

2 Likes

Good Day Jsimmons,

You did it great. Well done brother.

On my end, I finished it in just 2 hours and 40 minutes. Yet, I’m still able to grasp the idea behind. In my case, I was able to finish it early because I wanted to finish it early. So that I could finish this course asap.

For the Promodoro, this is not new to me, this is that I also took a course in Coursera, to be specific “Learning how to learn” and they also discussed the Promodoro effect and procrastination.
Promodoro gives me a strategy to make things complete in advance, not just the deadline. It gives me more free time that ever before.

1 Like

Hey!

I have always been a Pen Paper To do list type of person, but I always find it on several pieces of paper. Oy Vey. This course helped me slow it down a bit and keep me motivated to complete my tasks and not sit on Netflix all day. I always used the “Don’t forget the milk” app and that was great for me as I could write notes in a separate area instead of junking up the actual list.

My weekday list

Walk the dog 30 minutes
coffee and emails
work out
return items to the store
dinner w/ friends
complete homework assignments
clean floors
therapy appt

My weekend list was similar with the exception of therapy.

I completed my tasks in a timely manner and felt accomplished. These lists are essential for my emotional well being.

2 Likes

Hi there, I must say I have learnt more from this course than I thought I would.

I am not completely new to time and stress management as I am in the habit of making lists with my Notes app on my iPhone. However, this is my first formal introduction to the topic. It took me about three hours to finish this unit, although I did take period breaks that were too long than I intended them to be. The tip that I found most useful was that from David Allen in section one , which was to “keep nothing in your head apart from knowledge”. Basically, offload your brain onto external systems. I find that doing that has kept my mind free to focus on more important and urgent matters, and to be able to enjoy my time more in general.

My Pomodoro technique time worked best at 30 minutes with 10minute break intervals. I’ve always known myself to have a very short concentration span, however i was surprised to find that my concentration and productivity improved a lot with this technique. As I work in a corporate environment from 8am to 5pm on weekdays, one of my priorities was finding time to finish this course during less busy working hours. I was able to do that for this unit, however I was quite worried that I may get distracted by trivialities along the way. Well thanks to my Pomodoro, I’m glad to say I stayed on track.

Breaks can get really comfortable and therefore longer than we intend them to be sometimes, so tips on psyching yourself to get back to work after taking a break (and any others) are welcome!

1 Like

I am not new to making lists. I will say that I love to handwrite my lists because crossing them off once completed gives me such a satisfaction. I have learned a lot during this course so far. I added a couple of apps on my phone. I love the Todoist app but to upgrade to dump them into categories that are more manageable costs. That is fine though. It will give me the opportunity to check it out to see how it will work for me. I think we can all agree that a little less stress in our lives is always a good thing. I want to find balance with work life and family life. I am hoping this course will help me achieve that.

I am not a Pomodoro Technique kind of person. I do not mind a timer that tells me when to do something but I cannot stand to be on a timer. I feel rushed and I do not always do my best. This techinique was nice to hear about but it is not for me.

1 Like

I use to teach time management and organizational skills in the workplace and being out of work for over a month now, I could not believe how distracted I can get and what poor time management habits I have developed. I loved all the great ideas presented by the speakers in the videos and I was able to implement 2 of those ideas into my daily routine. I set a timer for 25 minutes and just focused on one project at a time, ignoring all phone calls or emails. I then took a 5 minute break to refresh and refocus. The other technique that worked well for me was the putting 5 things down on a piece of paper, (I use a steno pad, kind of old fashion, but I’m over 50) and prioritize them starting with most important to least important. I got more accomplished that first day that I used these tools than I had in one day in over a month! I only spent 3.5 hours watching, reading and writing for this section, due to having taught similar subjects for over 10 years, 10 years ago. I will continue using these two tools in my daily routine not only for my professional life but my personal life, such as walking on the treadmill for 25 minutes then resting for 5. I am a better person because of this course.

3 Likes

I used the Pomodoro technique and was fascinated by how much better my day went, how much more I got accomplished and how great I felt at the end of my day! Here is what I did as a result of learning the Pomodoro technique. First I took 5 minutes at the start of my day to write down the things that I wanted to get done that day. Then I prioritized them in order of importance. Then I made sure I had my coffee or water, a protein snack and chose soothing music to listen to and cleared off my desk except for the specific things I would need to complete the first task. This is when I set my timer for 25 minutes. Once I hit that start button I get to it, stay focused and don’t get up, answer calls, text or emails for that full 25 minutes. When the timer goes off I stretch, maybe eat a snack, go to the bathroom, check my text and or emails and write down any thoughts, concerns or suggestions I might have to clear my mind again and refocus for another 25 minutes. By using this method I was not distracted every 5 to 6 minutes and then having to refocus and regroup several times a day, which takes a lot of energy and slows down the completion of tasks. Before this technique I would start a project, think of something, or find something, then I would stop that 1st project work on the second. I seemed to be always working on 3-4 tasks or projects at a time. By the end of the day I would have not completed any one task or project and always felt frustrated and exhausted at the end of the day.
When I make a list of my priorities for the day the most important ones would be ones with due dates or ones that are connected with finances. Then next would be tasks requiring responses or paperwork of some sort. Finally the least important tasks would usually be things that interest me, things I promised I would do (not for work) and fun things that I enjoy. When I stuck to the Pomodoro technique I got all 5 things on my list done and most of the time at least 2 more! I will forever be thankful for learning a new effective way to manage my time.

2 Likes

The total time unit 2 took me was 3 1/2 hours to complete. I found the Pomodoro Technique helps me stay on task better than not using it. I found 30 mins of work and 10 mins break works better for me.

2 Likes

Good for you and glad the Pomodoro technique worked for you. I agree with you re starting your day writing things down-always good to have a plan for the day of what you want to accomplish. Of course, you will get unintentional interruptions but that’s life and sometimes we can or cannot control these interruptions.

2 Likes

It took me about fours hours to complete the unit. I am working from home and had to stop and answer emails from staff. I tend to make list for work and my personal life. I feel good when I can scratch it off my list.

As for the Pomodoro technique, I never had tried it before today. I will be using this to keep me focused and on task at hand. I will also use this for my personal life to tackle items I have been putting off, like cleaning out my closet.

2 Likes

Similarly it took me only about 3 hours to complete the unit. Everyday distractions made it a little challenging to complete the unit. The Pomodoro technique does not work that well for me, if I can extend the 25 minutes and adapt this technique then it works better depending on what kind of task i am doing. I will modify this technique and use it in the future. I do love to do lists though and will continue with this.

2 Likes

lisaj, I often like putting check marks next to tasks on my to do list similar to the way you like to scratch things off your list.

2 Likes

Unit 2 took me approximately 3hours and 45mins to complete. Making a list is not new to me, I’m constantly making grocery list so I won’t forget anything when I’m in the store, because I’ve found out when I don’t make a list I totally forget what and why I was in the store for in the first place. During my studying the distraction I often face is the ringing of phones and emails to respond to because I’m currently at work, I completed most of the units without distraction when I’m on break or at lunch but it still didn’t deterred me from completing in a timely manner.

My Pomodoro Technique I didn’t follow the 25mins. Interval to the ‘T’ due to the fact I was at work and the phones were ringing, I just made up for the time that had passed while I was on the phone then I jump right back into the swing of it, if I didn’t I would stray off doing something else. I love the Pomodoro Technique; it keeps me on track of what I need to complete. Honestly my stressor were the phones. I prioritize taking notes on a note pad while I paused the video then play it back to get a better understanding of what was just said.

I totally agree with you about Pomodoro technique giving you the perfect strategy to complete something on time because of the process.