Academy Home | Student Dashboard

Public Relation COMM411: Unit 1 Discussion

How do the historical foundations of public relations apply to current day news? Please share some examples.
In Wikipedia, according to The New York Times, corporate communications shifted from a monologue to two-way conversational communications with people. Media nowadays also made it easier for people to know what is it behind the stories release by PR. For example, after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, BP tried to deflect blame to other parties, claim the spill was not as significant as it was and focused on the science, while human interest stories related to the damage were emerging. (Source : wikipedia)

How might the role of public relations fit within a larger marketing campaign?
Almost all large organizations have public relation department or outsources their public relations need to a company. Public relation is seen as a vital key to maintain an organization image. Therefore, it is important for public relations strategist to work with top executives of the organization to craft an overview of how the company wants to be perceived, and how it is going to project a positive image. This can involve focusing in on exactly the right message, and then deciding on the broad outlines of a campaign to disseminate that message. (source : smallbusiness.chron.com)

How do you think developments in social media are impacting the field of public relations?
One emerging function of public relations is to maximize an organization’s positive use of social media to build its image. Managing a Twitter feed, a Facebook page and a YouTube channel are all vital ways to connect with possible new customers or stakeholders. Monitoring public comment about the organization on the Internet can also give PR professionals early warning of any emerging trends or problems. (source : smallbusiness.chron.com)

(1) How do historical foundations of public relations apply to current day news?
It stated that public relations became established first in the US by Ivy Lee or Edward Bernays, then spread internationally. Trade associations, PR news magazines, international PR agencies and academic principles for the profession were established. These are all things that still play a major role in public relations today.

(2) How might the role of public relations fit within a larger marketing campaign?
I think the role of public relations fit within larger companies perfectly. I would think that all large organizations have public relation department. I would think that one of the larger companies definitely main concerns would their image. How else would they be as large as they are if it weren’t for the positive influence that the public relations department had on the company?

(3) How do you think developments in social media are impacting the field of public relations?
I think that social media has both a negative and positive impact on the field of public relations. Nowadays, mostly everything we see is on social media and that’s because technology is steadily advancing and everyone has their cellphones. News really isn’t news anymore because social media tends to spoil the element of surprise. But, social media also positively impacts public relations also because many news outlets now use that source as a way to get the word out quicker.

PR unit 6 assignments

1.What are some of the similarities and differences of commercial and social marketing?

Some of the similarities and differences of commercial and social marketing are as follows:

• Differences

Whereas commercial marketing aims at making purchases (exchange of services or products for money) social targets patronage of services with very little money or nothing at all.

Commercial marketing aims at maximising profits while social marketing has the objective of getting its public attended to without making profits.

Though Social marketing goes beyond to consider its partnership, publics, policy and purse strings as,

• Similarities

Both Commercial and social marketing have products, price, place and promotion as common areas of consideration,

2.Have you ever worked on a social marketing campaign? Please share details.

I have gotten the opportunity of working with some socio-religious campaigns.

On one breath the Christian youth network of Tarkwa-Ghana, organised a week long celebration In which workshops and counselling were scheduled for the members, invited guests and the general youth populace of the metropolis to educate and empower them spiritually.

During the week long campaign, the network educated the school going age of the significance of abstaining from sex to prevent teenage pregnancy.

Gifts and medical items were presented to the patients of some of the medical centers of the metropolis.

Blood screening and donations were organised together with education on the prevention of unprotected sex and HIV/Aids.

3.What sort of social campaign might you like to work on in the future?

In the near future, I would like to work on a social campaign that promotes education among the less privileged and healthy living among the poor. I may also consider a campaign to unearth talents and promote creativity among teenagers and the vulnerable.