Unit 2 Essay

Write an essay (500 to 1,000 words) in which you assert and defend your opinion on the topic for this unit:

"How does my selected activity or characteristic affect success in an Internet-based college course?"

Use the prewriting techniques we reviewed in Unit 1 to develop a thesis for your paper and identify supporting reasons and evidence for your argument. Try to develop a rough outline that you can flesh out to create a first draft. When you have completed your first draft, use the questions in the Toulmin method to evaluate your argument. Then, revise your essay as needed to reflect the results of your analysis.

Reading aloud to yourself can help you finalize your work when you do not have someone else to edit or grade it for you. As you read, jot notes about anything that does not seem to fit logically or that sounds incorrect to you.

One of the important issues for online courses is time management.

Time Management

1. Make the course a priority.
  2. Make a study plan.
  3. No distractions.

Approximately 65 percent of college students have taken an online course. Benefits to online learning include flexibility and practicing 21st-century skills, but some issues can impede effective online learning. One of the biggest issues that impacts online learners is poor time management. Lack of a schedule, too many distractions and multitasking can lead to poor time management. Another factor that may lead to poor time management is the lack of a designated work space.
LACK OF SCHEDULE
A lack of a schedule can lead to poor time management in online learning. When students are enrolled in face-to-face classes, the instructor sets a predetermined schedule. Many online courses are set up with a great deal of flexibility. There may be due dates built into the course, but the student will need to set his own schedule for completing course work.
FLEXIBILITY
Flexibility – while one of the greatest benefits of online learning – can create issues for students who have trouble maintaining a schedule. Students need to find a way to balance the flexibility of online learning with a disciplined schedule to be successful online learners.
DISTRACTIONS
Because online learners use their computers and the Internet to participate in online learning, they may be tempted with distractions. A student working on a challenging assignment may find herself surfing the Web, checking social networking sites or catching the latest viral video online. One way students can combat these distractions and more effectively manage their time is to set aside breaks in between periods of work. This will allow the online learner to focus on school tasks knowing that she can check social networking sites when she completes her work.

We can’t stop or control time. But, if you want to take control of your online learning and make the best of it, you need to learn how to properly manage the time you have. Time management is something that every student can and should learn; it’s not just for those who are naturally gifted at planning and arranging. Take the simple step of utilizing your commuting time to start on your way to learning time management skills as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Internet is a thing you can connect Network every easy if you know to use and utility in this object.

What is inconvenient and opportunities in this Internet you practice every time.

In this object want to have ability to see the activity in Internet, Before you choose the course internet if you ken the prerequisites about the course you take in the internet, Secondly you can do All Efforts, You may able all your potential to target your goals. When you start the course, before you have willing, motive and intention; afterward you manage your time and activity Because of course in college you reorganize your plan schedule when time to study and which place. After that you concentrate in this course, you don’t see left to right; Fix your eyes in the computer what you learn. At time my during in the course I can ask the question my teacher in this way or I can post my question forum communities.

Also you are able read and write the first slipway you’ll took in an course college. You are ability agreeable reading a lot of report on a computer screen and capable to type. You need liberty inside motivation, leadership and a certain quantity of majority. You can learn Good Environment Not Interruption television, family, or roommates.

2 Likes

At age fifty-five, after receiving several promotional emails from Thomas Edison State University, I made a decision to stop binge watching Netflix and do something more productive with my life. Getting my bachelors degree has always been in the back of my mind but I thought that window of opportunity had closed for me since I hadn’t been to college in twenty-five years. But, I took a chance and applied to TESU, had my transcripts sent and waited to see if they would accept any of my credits. Much to my very happy surprise, TESU was able to give me credit for all the credits I had earned going back to 1982! With a husband, two daughters in college, a dog, a home, and a full-time job I knew that good time management would be my biggest challenge and the most important thing I would need to be successful with my internet-based courses.

Right out of the gate, I realized what a challenge it would be. It is so easy to become distracted and fall behind with my studies. Especially at my age, after a long day at work, it’s so tempting to just lay down on the couch and zone out to Netflix. Old habits die hard! I found myself still spending too much time watching TV. I was going to have to manage my time better if I was going to pass this course.

After doing some research, I found out that planning is essential. A good practice is to set aside some time every week to plan the week’s priorities. Then take some time every day to create a daily list of things you want to get done based on your weekly goals. I found a planner book worked better for me than a calendar on my phone. Being able to list out my priorities and action plan is very motivating.

Be realistic; don’t overbook yourself. When I’m overwhelmed with too much to do, I tend to do nothing. To avoid feeling overwhelmed, break large projects or goals into smaller projects or short-term goals. Make it your goal to get at least one important thing done every day and carry over anything you didn’t get done today to tomorrow. If the mountain is too high to climb today, climb a hill instead. When setting goals always be aware of what, why and how. The “what” is the end result, they why is your reason and the how are the steps you will take to get there. Keeping, this in mind will help you stay motivated to stay the course.

Consider ways that your time is being wasted. But make sure you schedule down time to relax and enjoy yourself. This will help you actually relax rather than feel guilty for sitting around doing nothing. It has a purpose which is to allow your battery to recharge.

Getting an internet-based college degree will be a challenge. Many will give up. But if you’re able to manage your time successfully, you will achieve your goal of getting your degree. There will be times that your plans all fall apart, but day by day, if you plan properly and plan for your priorities you will cross the finish line with your diploma in hand.

1 Like