Similarities between commercial marketing and social marketing
• A customer orientation is critical.
• Exchange theory is fundamental.
• Market research is used throughout the process.
• Audiences are segmented.
• The proper target market is selected.
• All 4 P’s are considered.
• Results are measured and evaluated and used for improvement.
Difference between commercial marketing and social marketing
• Primary objective in commercial marketing is to satisfy customer by selling products to them and fulfilling their needs and earn profit while the primary objective of social marketing is to benefit society in term of social gain.
• Commercial marketing main focus is on physical products or services while the main focus for social marketing is to reach the target audience and change the behavior.
• In commercial marketing tools are used for selling products while in social marketing tools are used for changing behaviors
• In commercial marketing, marketers satisfy individual needs while in social marketing, marketers satisfy society needs.
What sort of social campaign might you like to work on in the future?
Female genital mutilation (FGM)
Female genital mutilation (FGM), also known as female genital cutting and female circumcision,is the ritual cutting or removal of some or all of the external female genitalia. The practice is found in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and within communities from countries in which FGM is common. UNICEF estimated in 2016 that 200 million women living today in 30 countries—27 African countries, Indonesia, Iraqi Kurdistan and Yemen—have undergone the procedures.