What is the Easiest and / or Hardest Saylor Courses and why?

I’m seeking to get a few easy courses under my belt to build confidence. So in your opinion what is the easiest courses? and what should I stay away from for a while?

Also, what courses are short in length (time)?

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a terrifically difficult question to answer usefully. Courses which interest a student will tend to seem easier than those which are of less interest. Subjects where a student has prior background will tend to seem easier than those which are new (but fresh topics can be more interesting!).

Most ‘university’ level courses are nominally around 100 hours in length although, in practice, the range (that I’ve noticed to date) seems to be from around 69-190 hours. Bearing in mind that the ‘Time Commitment’ is only the broadest indication of how long an ‘average’ student might require I really don’t rely too much on them.

Personally, I find courses like Mathematics the most time consuming and difficult as I need to follow through step by step (despite teaching some Maths in High School).

The course I enjoyed the most was Social Psychology (PSYCH301) but I might have struggled more if I had not taken the earlier ‘core’ psychology courses.

I should add that the Professional Development courses are shorter (10-30 hours) but can still be useful and engaging so may be worth a look for new students.

5 Likes

I will second Paul on this. Computer Skills & Literacy, Professional Writing, and Time and Stress Management (001, 002, and 005) are pretty friendly, cover a good deal of familiar territory, are fast, and yet will offer something to think about and a few new things to learn.

Definitely, a short course that is not especially important to you is a good way to work out your style for taking notes and organizing content, because even if what you try doesn’t work in the end, there is little time and effort lost.

We do intend to create a sort of onboarding course in which you learn about Saylor and earn your first certificate, etc., in 15-30 minutes…but that waits on us having our Moodle up and running.

2 Likes

Although Western Art History was and still is more familiar to me and with a little prior background, the introductory courses in Western Art History were more difficult to pass them or get a good grade, while Egyptian Art and the Ancient Near east was more intriguing, interesting and something new to me, so I got a better grade in that second level course than the first level courses.

Another pair of courses I liked a lot to complete and I did so, were American English and Try College.I got a good grade for the first course which I found more challenging as an ESL student, and a 72% for Try College a course that looked easy and in many ways I found objective?

However, I am curious to know how a completed upper level course and for credit should be shown on a college transcript, as a major course, as an introductory, or a course that can replace another elective major in college?

Also the Introduction to Western Political Thought gives me the impression that it is much more than an Introduction and a challenging one.

1 Like

It will vary a bit. The courses make a reasonably lateral transfer. That is, 100-level maps to 100-level. Some get bumped down, many get bumped up. You can get some idea by clicking on the partner school logos here: http://www.saylor.org/partner-schools/ (you should get a pop-up window with information).

I just completed the time and stress management course. It is short yet informative and thought-provoking. Worth a try!

what happened to computer skills and literacy i would like to take that course

Hi @nadinelynch2600 ,

I think that you’re asking about the “LiDA100 : Learning in a Digital Age” course. Am I right? If that’s the case, I believe you can take that course from the following link:

LiDA100: Learning in a Digital Age | Saylor Academy

(https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=388)

I also found a related Saylor Academy’s Blog post here:

Does that help?